Re: [amibroker] Trading journal

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>b
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I hate
to be a bit pedantic, but even a short term trader is affected by these
distortions.   Imagine the effect of a 50% in the price of any stock
on today's chart.  If you owned the stock, you would have 50% cash (or
stock in another company) and your original shares worth 50% of what they were
worth yesterday.   However, what did the 50% drop in price do to your
short term indicators?  It would look like one SERIOUS breakout to the
downside.    Yes, you may go and look at the chart.
But that's not what happens in backtesting a mechanical system, is
it?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Assuming that you backtest over a few years, even a very short term
trading system will encounter many of these distortions.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Can
you see the problem?
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: b
  [mailto:b519b@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 1:58
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  dividend (more on the subject)Howard,Thanks
  for the reply. I appreciate know the perspective of people like you,
  Chuckand other who have many years for experience working with data
  issues.It would seem to me that whatever bias is created by excluding
  dividends woulddecrease with one's average holding period. Obviously
  someone who is a buy and holdinvestor with a 10 year holding period might
  be more interested in what effectdividends would have, but a daytrader
  would never have to worry about any distortion(assuming the daytrader only
  used today's data for trading). b--- Howard Bandy
  <howardbandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Hi b -> >
  > > We could ask Tomasz to provide these capabilities in
  AmiBroker.  > >  > > One, it would
  complicate his life significantly.  > > Two, we would need
  a data vendor who provided accurate real time and> historical data for
  all the fields we are tracking.  > > Three, the companies
  reporting data would need to agree on the methods they> use so as to
  insure that we are able to work with consistent data.  > >
  Four, eventually we get back to the existence of an unknown and
  unknowable> bias in any data released by any reporting agency which
  distorts whatever> numbers appear in the data stream.  >
  >  > > I recommend we work with what we already
  have, and be conservative when> examining back test results.>
  >  > > Howard> >

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.