Re: [amibroker] Renaming watchlists from AFL

Hi Chuck –

There are several ways of back adjusting
for splits and dividends.  Most data vendors adjust for splits by using a
proportion method – a $100 stock that splits 2:1 becomes $50.  And
most adjust for dividends by just subtracting the amount of the dividend –
a $20.00 stock that pays a $.30 dividend just drops to $19.70.

The issue is clearer when compared with the
problem of combining individual futures contracts into a continuous contract.
Users are given the raw prices for each contract for each trading day.
Depending on the commodity, each contract is active for six to nine months, and
is “the front contract” or “front month” where most of
the trading takes place for one to three months.  System developers who
want to test over periods longer then a few months stitch together several
individual contracts into a “continuous contract”.  Conceptually,
construction of the continuous contract starts with the most recent front
month.  Going back in time, as it becomes less active and overlaps with an
earlier contact that was then the front month, prices from the recent contract
are dropped and prices from that earlier contract are appended.  Since the
two contracts traded on the same days, but have different prices (due to
carrying costs, etc), an adjustment must be made.  If a ratio of the prices
of the two contracts being joined is used, then the earlier prices will not
become negative.  But the “prices” created are artificial –
and all trading methods using this type of continuous contract Must use
percentage changes when comparing two trading days.  If the difference
between the prices of the two contracts being joined is used, then earlier
prices can become negative.  Using this type of continuous contract, any
calculations that use ratios or percentage changes will be distorted, but price
differences will be correct.

When stocks pay dividends in the usual
way, the amount of the dividend appears to be a drop in the price of the stock
by the amount of the dividend on the day the dividend is paid.  For stocks
with long histories of paying significant dividends, this results in a serious
distortion.  It could be partially corrected by adding back the dividends,
which would create a price history that would show earlier prices to be higher
than the historical data shows.  One effect of having historical data
missing the dividend amount is that trading systems that use ratios are being
distorted in the same way that they would be on continuous contracts adjusted
by price difference.

When stocks pay large dividends, or spin
off subsidiaries, the data vendor has a choice to make – use a ratio or
use a price difference.  Sometimes we know what they did, sometimes
not.  Sometimes the company accounting department offers guidelines,
sometimes not.  In either case, we need to be aware that the methods we
use in our trading systems may be distorted by the methods the data vendor used
to adjust the price for dividend or split.

Thanks for listening,

Howard