Re: [amibroker] Re: Draw vertical line

G'day,
b...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Another country heard from on the subject of
dividends!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
IMO,
the BIG dividends could be considered to be rare.   However, a
dividend of 10%, while not BIG, can still affect the P/L and indicator
calculations.   Sometimes a company will float a division or
subsidiary, issuing stock in the new company and reducing the price of the
original stock by the same amount.   It is not unusual to see 50%
falls in price arising from situations like this.   I could run some
stats for you, if you feel it is important to know that much about the scale of
the problem.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
would hope that TJ might think this subject is important enough to give some
consideration.   In order for that to happen, enough users would have
to:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>a.  understand the problem.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>b.  believe that it is serious enough that it should be
fixed
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>c.  convey that message to TJ.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If TJ
was to address the problem, there still is the issue of how the information gets
into the database.   I hate to bring up CSI again, for fear that users
here will soon think that I have some sort of financial interest in the
company.  I can assure you that I cannot benefit in any way by people
subscribing to CSI.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
With
that (hopefully) out of the way, let me describe how my own trading software
works.   By the way, my software is not for sale, so there is no
potential conflict in tellying you about it.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
My
database, thanks to CSI, has a record of every dividend and dividend
date.   This information is available directly from CSI.  In
fact, with CSI you can backadjust your data to include or exclude
dividends.  Obviously, the difference is the amount of the
dividend.   Backadjusting for dividends, however, creates a new
problem; prices can go negative when backadjusting over several
years.   My method of getting around this problem is to backadjust
over a moving window that is large enough to properly calculate the indicators
being used by the system.   Since my database has dividend dates and
amounts, I am able to do this backadjusting on the fly.   Yes, it
slows things down.   No, I don't turn the feature "on" during
preliminary research of new system(s) and/or parameter(s).   I only
turn it on in the later stages of my research in order to get an accurate
picture.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I hope
that the above helps people to understand the significance of the
problem.   I don't recall it every being mentioned on this or any
other Yahoo board.   I can assure you, however, that the subject takes
up a lot of my time and effort.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: b
  [mailto:b519b@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:59
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  dividend (more on the subject)Chuck,I am
  convinced. Dividends are bad news. And with recent US tax changes they will
  notbe going away anytime soon. Are the big dividend payouts rare
  enough that they can be ignored in practice? I hope the answer is Yes,
  because I can not see any easy way to compensate (otherthan manually
  checking all trade candidates for recent dividends - too much tediouswork
  for my liking.) b--- Chuck Rademacher
  <chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Another reason why I say
  that dividends are the BIGGEST PROBLEM with data is> that not only did
  $11 disappear in one day from the stock in question> (causing a loss),
  it also severely distorts ALL technical indicators.   Such> a
  move could look like a SERIOUS BREAKOUT when, in fact, it's nothing but
  a> dividend.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: indiana0352
  [mailto:cs_winn@xxxxxxxxxxx]>   Sent: Monday, January 05,
  2004 9:34 PM>   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: [amibroker]
  dividend> > >   Does anyone know how I can
  compensate for large dividend payments>   made by companies
  in the stock prices in AB??> >   eh  NCRX which
  paid out a $10.92 cash dividend on Dec 2, shows in AB>   as
  dropping significantly that day when really it didn't.>
  >   The only way I could firgure it out would be to do a
  reverse>   division and calculate a split value which I
  enter.  Is there an>   easier way?>
  >   TIA,>   Chris> > >
  >   Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Service.> > >

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.