Re: [amibroker] Re: How to test IBD's idea?

Gary,

There's a couple of different ways of doing it. Some more time
consuming, some less. One way is to compare the returns using ROC to
a reference index (like SP500 or Value Line for US stocks). If a
stock's performance significantly beats out the index, then its a
safe bet that it has high relative strength. I've used this concept
for back testing.

Another way is to use what's called the 'Cumulative Probability' of
the market returns. See post # 55179. If you have a large enough
database you should be able to get these AFL scripts to work very
well in terms of comparison with IBD's RS ranks. Currently I only
have a script that uses "today's" data however, so it won't be so
hot for backtesting. This method of ranking works very well.

You could take the idea shown in post 55179 and adapt it to collect
the data over time and create several historical ROC indices for the
10 point curve fit. Something like ~xroc1,~xroc10...~xroc90,~xroc99.
It will probably take AB a very long time to crunch the numbers,
however.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

-ace

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gary_tiger2001"