From: acesheet@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:acesheet@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 December 2003 10:46 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Import Industry Assignments

Graham,

Thanks for posting all this information. Just knowing how to do this
is a huge load off my database setup chores. I did it and it worked
perfectly.

I have one more question, however. How can I assign the market
category using the javascript file? I assume it would have to be
some other sort of 'stock.****' variable, but I'm not a java
programmer and I'm not sure of the syntax that would be required.

Thanks.

-ace

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:
> Harvey, the js file below is a newer (or at least different)
version to the
> one I use.
> Here is the full file I use and I find it works :)
> Seems the one enhancement I did is now in the newer js file,
message to say
> it is finished.
>

> /* change this line according to your data file name */
>
> var filename = "Industries.csv";
> var fso, f, r;
> var ForReading = 1;
> var AmiBroker;
> var fields;
> var stock;
>
> /* Create AmiBroker app object */
> AmiBroker = new ActiveXObject( "Broker.Application" );
>
> /* ... and file system object */
> fso = new ActiveXObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" );
>
> /* open ASCII file */
> f = fso.OpenTextFile( filename, ForReading);
>
> /* read the file line by line */
> while ( !f.AtEndOfStream )
> {
>
> r = f.ReadLine();
>
> /* split the lines using comma as a separator */
> fields = r.split(",");
>
> /* add a ticker - this is safe operation, in case that */
> /* ticker already exists, AmiBroker returns existing one */ stock =
> AmiBroker.Stocks.Add( fields[ 0 ] );
>
> stock.FullName = fields[ 1 ];
> stock.IndustryID = parseInt( fields[ 2 ] );
>

> }
>
> /* refresh ticker list and windows */
> AmiBroker.RefreshAll();
>

> WScript.Echo("Industry Setup Finished" );
>

> Cheers,
> Graham
> http://groups.msn.com/asxsharetrading
> http://groups.msn.com/fmsaustralia

file "Industries.js" as
> downloaded from the link on the last line of Newsletter 04-2000.
Would you
> [...]
>
> WScript.Echo( "Script Started" );
>
> /* change this line according to your data file name */
> ImportStocks("industry_data.txt");
>
> WScript.Echo( "Finished" );
>

> function ImportStocks( filename )
> {
>         var fso, f, r;
>         var ForReading = 1;
>         var AmiBroker;
>         var fields;
>         var stock;
>

>         /* Create AmiBroker app object */
>         AmiBroker = new ActiveXObject( "Broker.Application" );
>
>         /* ... and file system object */
>         fso = new ActiveXObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" );
>
>         /* open ASCII file */
>         f = fso.OpenTextFile( filename, ForReading);
>
>         i = 1;
>         /* read the file line by line */
>         while ( !f.AtEndOfStream )
>         {
>                 r =  f.ReadLine();
>
>                 /* split the lines using comma as a separator */
>                 fields = r.split(",");
>
>                 try
>                 {
>
>                         /* add a ticker - this is safe operation,
in case
> that   */
>                         /* ticker already exists, AmiBroker
returns existing
> one */
>                         stock = AmiBroker.Stocks.Add( fields[
0 ] );

>                         stock.FullName = fields[ 1 ];
>
>                         stock.IndustryID = parseInt( fields[ 2 ] );
>                 }
>                 catch( e )
>                 {
>                                 WScript.echo( "There is a problem
in line
> no." + i + ".\nThe line looks as follows:\n'" + r + "'\nIt will be
skipped
> and next lines will be processed as normal" );
>                 }
>
>                 i++;
>         }
>
>         /* refresh ticker list and windows */
>         AmiBroker.RefreshAll();
>
> }

> At 11:06 PM 07/12/2003, you wrote:
>

> 1st check that the file with the industry data is correctly
identified in
> the js file. If you have both the js file and the data file in the
same
> directory you do not need to use the directory structure to refer
to it in
> the js file. I just have them both in a subdirectory wiuthin Ab
called
> /scripts/
>
> Here is the reference for it from my js file
>
> var filename = "Industries.csv";
>
> Another thing to watch for is that your names etc in the lists are
firstly
> separated by commas, and you do not have any extra commas within
the names.
> I have found this in the list I get from the ASX of companies and
their
> sectors that the names often have commas within them. These extra

on "Industries.js"
> the script starts but then I immediately get a "File not found"
error:

> Windows Script Host
>

> Script:    F:\Invest\Amibroker\DB_GP\Industries.js
>

> Line:      38
>

> Char:     2
>

> Error:     File not found
>

> Code:    800A0035
>

> Source: Microsoft JScript runtime error
>

> Would appreciate any advice.
>

> Thanks,
>

> HHP
>

> =====================
>

> At 05:01 PM 07/12/2003, you wrote:
>

> Open AB with the database that you want to update
>

> Then in windows explorer double click on the js file
>

> Cheers,
>

> Graham
>

> http://groups.msn.com/asxsharetrading
>

> http://groups.msn.com/fmsaustralia

categories are set

> up.  Next is to import the stock Symbols, Names and Industry
Assignments as

> described in Newsletter 04-2000.  I have created a sub-folder
within the

> Amibroker folder which contains "industries.js" and a correctly
formatted

> "industry_data.txt" file of the symbols, names and industry
numbers.  So

> far so good.  My question is: How do I ensure that when I run
>

> "industries.js" the data is imported into the new database and not
into

> another existing database?
>

> Thanks,
>

> HHP
>

> ===================

-~--> Buy

> Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer

> at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
>

> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
>

> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GHeqlB/TM

--~->

> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>

> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cjho951/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D
=egroup

web/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1070931713/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.
com/Def
> ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730> click here
>

>  []
> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmai
> l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=171033672>
>

> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>

> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx

> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>

> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ckmf6t4/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D
=egroup

web/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1070953588/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.
com/Def
> ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here
>  []
> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
> l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=841083675>
>
> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c665o56/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D
=egroup

web/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1070966050/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.
com/cgi
> -bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai