RE: [amibroker] Re: PositionScore Ideas

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Ken,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
material submitted by Pal has absolutely nothing to do with the BOP study that
is part of TC2000.   The Worden brothers actually got an injunction
against S&C magazine saying that they couldn't use Balance of Power as a
technical study since the name belongs to them.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I'm
not aware of anyone who has broken the BOP logic (as it works in TC2000).
Many have come up with something that closely approximates the TC2000 TSV
study.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ken Close
  [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:50
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: PositionScore IdeasPal, thanks for this (I think
  :-) ).  I initially thought you had messedup and copied the same
  section many times, but upon closer reading, Isee each section is slightly
  different than the last.It is not clear how close this will come to
  the internal TC2000so-called "proprietary" indicator, nor how much time I
  might have to docomparison tests of all of the
  variations.Nonetheless, thanks for sharing it.  What was the
  source for thisinformation if I may ask?  Also, do you have any
  personal experiencewith it and the variations?   Are you a
  TC2000 user and have thus madecomparisons?  Just fishing for info
  that might make my research a littleshorter.Thanks
  again,Ken-----Original Message-----From: palsanand
  [mailto:palsanand@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:10
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re: PositionScore
  IdeasFUNCTION: BOP: Bears Reward Based On Open Close
  FORMULA: BOP_BearOpenClose   DESC: Measure the bears ability to
  move the closing price below the opening price relative to the trading
  range for the day.   NOTES: This function measures the bears
  ability to move the closing price below the opening price relative to the
  trading range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.Close         The close price
  of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bears ability
  to move the closing price below the opening price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bears are considered to be pushing the price down from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect)
  and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is
  typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".iif((C>O),0,(O-C)/(H-L))FUNCTION:
  Balance Of Power   FORMULA: BOP   DESC: Measure
  the strength of bulls versus bears by assessing their ability to push the
  price to an extreme level using a reduced calculation.
  NOTES: This function measures the strength of bulls versus bears by
  calculation.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.Close         The close price
  of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function rates the ability of bulls
  and bears to move the price by examining the high and low prices against
  the opening and closing prices for each day. Bulls are considered to be
  pushing the price up from its opening value. Bears are considered to be
  pushing the price down from its opening value.The function value
  varies between -1 (bearish) and 1
  (bullish).Usage-----------This function is typically used in a
  moving average to detect trends in whether price movements have been
  bearish or bullish. Negative values indicate that the bears have been
  controlling the price during the period of the average. Positiive values
  indicate that the bulls have been controlling the price.This is
  the reduced form of the Balance of Power function, which is derived from
  the formula presented in the article. It returns the same value as the
  orignal form Balance of Power function.Source------------This
  function is based on the article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the
  July 2001 issue of "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(C-O)/(H-L)FUNCTION: Balance Of Power
  (Original Form)   FORMULA: BOP1   DESC: Measure
  the strength of bulls versus bears by assessing their ability to push the
  price to an extreme level using the underlying
  calculations.   NOTES: This function measures the strength
  calculations.Parameters------------------Open
[...]
  the original form of the Balance of Power function, which is presented in
  the article. It returns the same value as the normal Balance of Power
  function, which has been derived from this
  formula.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".BOP_BullDaily(O,C,H,L) -
  BOP_BearDaily(O,C,H,L)FUNCTION: BOP: Bulls Reward
  Daily   FORMULA: BOP_BullDaily   DESC: Measure the
  strength of bulls for a given day by assessing their ability to push the
  price to an extreme level.   NOTES: This function measures
  level.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.Close         The close price
  of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function rates the ability of bulls
  to move the price by examining the high and low prices against the opening
  and closing prices for each day. Bulls are considered to be pushing the
  price up from its opening value.The function value varies between
  0 (no effect) and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This
  function is typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(BOP_BullOpen(O,H,L) + BOP_BullClose(C,H,L) +
  BOP_BullOpenClose(O,C,H,L))/3FUNCTION: BOP: Bulls Reward Based
  On Open Close   FORMULA: BOP_BullOpenClose   DESC:
  Measure the bulls ability to move the closing price above the opening
  price relative to the trading range for the day.   NOTES:
  This function measures the bulls ability to move the closing price
  above the opening price relative to the trading range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.Close         The close price
  of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bears ability
  to move the closing price above the opening price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bulls are considered to be pushing the price up from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect)
  and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is
  typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".iif((C>O),(C-O)/(H-L),0)FUNCTION: BOP:
  Bears Reward Based On Close   FORMULA:
  BOP_BearClose   DESC: Measure the bears ability to move the
  closing price down from the high price relative to the trading range for
  the day.   NOTES: This function measures the bears ability
  to move the closing price down from the high price relative to the trading
  range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Close
  The close price of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bears ability
  to move the closing price down from the high price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bears are considered to be pushing the price down from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect)
  and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is
  typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(C-L)/(H-L)FUNCTION: BOP: Bulls Reward Based
  On Close   FORMULA: BOP_BullClose   DESC: Measure
  the bulls ability to move the closing price up from the low price relative
  to the trading range for the day.   NOTES: This function
  measures the bulls ability to move the closing price up from the low price
  relative to the trading range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Close
  The close price of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bulls ability
  to move the closing price up from the low price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bulls are considered to be pushing the price up from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect) and
  1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is typically
  used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(C-L)/(H-L)FUNCTION: BOP: Bears Reward
  Based On Open   FORMULA: BOP_BearOpen   DESC:
  Measure the bears ability to move the low price down from the opening
  price relative to the trading range for the day.   NOTES:
  This function measures the bears ability to move the low price down
  from the opening price relative to the trading range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bears ability
  to move the low price down from the opening price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bears are considered to be pushing the price down from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect)
  and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is
  typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(O-L)/(H-L)FUNCTION: BOP: Bulls Reward
  Based On Open   FORMULA: BOP_BullOpen   DESC:
  Measure the bears ability to move the high price up from the opening price
  relative to the trading range for the day.   NOTES: This
  function measures the bears ability to move the high price up from the
  opening price relative to the trading range for the
  day.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function measures the bears ability
  to move the high price up from the opening price relative to the trading
  range for the day. Bulls are considered to be pushing the price up from
  its opening value.The function value varies between 0 (no effect)
  and 1 (large effect).Usage-----------This function is
  typically used in the calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(H-O)/(H-L)FUNCTION: BOP: Bears Reward
  Daily   FORMULA: BOP_BearDaily   DESC: Measure the
  strength of bears for a given day by assessing their ability to push the
  price to an extreme level.   NOTES: This function measures
  the strength of bears for a given day by assessing their ability to push
  the price to an extreme
  level.Parameters------------------Open
  The open price of the security for each given
  day.Close         The close price
  of the security for each given
  day.High          The high
  price of the security for each given
  day.Low           The
  low price of the security for each given day.Function
  Value------------------------This function rates the ability of bears
  to move the price by examining the high and low prices against the opening
  and closing prices for each day. Bears are considered to be pushing the
  price down from its opening value.The function value varies
  between 0 (no effect) and 1 (large
  effect).Usage-----------This function is typically used in the
  calculation of the Balance of Power
  indicator.Source------------This function is based on the
  article "Balance of Power" by Igor Livshin in the July 2001 issue of
  "Technical Analysis of Stocks and
  Commodities".(BOP_BearOpen(O,H,L,C) + BOP_BearClose(C,H,L) +
  BOP_BearOpenClose(O,C,H,L))/3rgds, Pal--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ken Close" <closeks@xxxx> wrote:>
  Gary/Phsst:  now that is interesting.> >  >
  > VectorVest has a "proprietary" "Relative Strength" indicator called
  RT,> which some on another list have said is approximated by
  C/Ref(C,-65),> along with some weighting scheme.  Talk about
  everyone drinking out of> the same cup.> >
  > > TC2000 has a thing called BOP (Balance of Power), but I have
  never seen> an approximation of it much less a description of what
  it attempts to> do. Nix that, here is something from the TC2k Help
  files:> > "BOP fits into a category of devices that can be
  termed "trend quality"> indicators. A variety of methods lead
  naturally to buy and sell signals.> What BOP tells you is something
  about the quality of the underlying> trend. Not itself a pinpoint
  timing indicator, BOP will modify your> assessment of the vital
  risk-reward ratio of a trade or investment. It> will help you
  determine whether the supply-demand balance will be in> your favor. It
  will help you spot changes of character in a stock's> action.>
  [mailto:serkhoshian777@xxxx] > Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 1:16
  PM> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re:
  PositionScore Ideas> >  > > Hi Phsst,>
  >  > > Thanks for that suggestion, as I'd never
  stumbled across it before.  QP> has a great explaination in
  help which I've posted below in addition to> my translation into
  AFL which just offers the raw relstr numbers which> is good
  enough.  If anyone wants to beautify the code with the
  ranking> from 0 to 99, by all means tear it up.>
  >  > > Value-added as always Phsst : ).  Kind
  Regards, Gary> >  > > QRSRAW = ( (C /
  Ref(C,-62)) * 0.4 ) + ( (Ref(C,-63) / Ref(C,-125)) * 0.2> ) + (
  (Ref(C,-126) / Ref(C,-188)) * 0.2 ) + ( (Ref(C,-189) /> Ref(C,-251)) *
  0.2 );> >  > > Quotes Plus Relative Strength
  Indicator> > The Quotes Plus Relative Strength indicator is
  calculated for each issue> each day, and becomes part of the data
  you download to your PC. The> indicator ranks each issue in the
  database against every other issue in> the database, based on its
  performance for the last 12 months.> > Every issue is ranked
  from 0 to 99 so that its rank is equal to the> percentage of issues
  that it has outperformed over the previous 12 month> period. A
  rating of 92, for example, means that the issue has> outperformed 92%
  of all of the issues in the database.> > The formula is
  :> > ( Current Close / Close from 62 trading days ago ) *
  .4> > + ( Close from 63 trading days ago / Close from 125
  trading days ago ) *> .2> > + ( Close from 126
  trading days ago / Close from 188 trading days ago )> * .2>
  > + ( Close from 189 trading days ago / Close from 251 trading days
  ago )> * .2> > This value is sorted for all of the
  issues, and the top 1% of issues get> a value of 99. The other
  issues are ranked similarly, down to the bottom> 1%, which get a
  value of 0. > >  > >  > >
  > > Phsst <phsst@xxxx> wrote:> > QRS is
  updated daily and goes as far back as 6/1/1995 in the QP2>
  database.> > Just a suggestion... set aside whatever
  preconcieved notions you may> have about this and take the time to
  research it and do a little due> diligence. You might be glad you did.
  > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa"
  <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:> > Thanks, Phsst. I'm a QP2 user also.
  But all those QP2 GetExtraData> variables are not updated daily, so I
  don't think they would be useful> for a short-term trading system
  like I was talking about. Using> PositionScore over a modest time
  period, you'd get the same 4 stocks> all the time, wouldn't you, or at
  least until they get updated.> Perhaps QRS gets updated weekly, so
  maybe that wouldn't be as bad, but> I think I'd like something that
  is more reflective of the trade system> duration, in other words,
  something that I can update daily at EOD. > > > > >
  Phsst > >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
  >   Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 12:26 PM>
  >   Subject: [amibroker] Re: PositionScore Ideas> >
  >   My favorite is the QP2 QRS value (GetExtraData("QRS"). The
  QP2 QRS> >   value is supposed to be a 'knockoff' of
  the IBD RS ranking score.> > > >   I almost
  always get a significant boost using this ranking figure as>
  >   as the positionscore.> > > >
  If you do not have QP2, but have any ideas about how to do your
  own> RS> >   Rank calculation, I'd be happy to
  run some comparisons for you (or> >   anyone else) to
  measure your calculated RS Rank against QP2's QRS> rank.>
  > > >   Cheers,> > > >
  Phsst> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa"
  <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:> >   > Hi,
  all:> >   > > >   > I've been
  experimenting with variuos short term trading systems>
  >   lately (average trade durations of about 2.5 days), and I
  was> looking> >   for ideas on how best to rank a
  watchlist to get the best candidates> >   for
  portfolio trading a basket of 4 stocks. I was wondering if>
  anyone> >   would care to share any ideas on how you use
  the PositionScore> >   function to rank your candidate
  list (using regular mode, not> >   rotational mode). I've
  tried combinations of turnover and> volatility,>
  >   but I'd like to try other ideas. I'm not asking anyone to
  give away> >   any secrets, and, yes, I am aware of
  TJ's example in the help file> >   (PositionScore =
  100 -RSI());), but I was just looking for more> ideas.>
  >   I'm not even sure if this question is too vague or not. If it
  is,> I'm> >   sure you'll tell me. TIA.>
  >   > > >   > Al Venosa>
  >   > advenosa@xxxx> >   > >
  >   > > >   > --->
  >   > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com).> <<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com)./> >
  11/21/2003> > > > >
  >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
  > >        >
  >        > > > >
  > >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>
  >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> >
  system (<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com).> <<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com)./> >
  11/21/2003> > > > > > >
  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor> > > >
  ADVERTISEMENT>  > <<A
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgs1a21/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg>
  roupweb/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1071424238/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.>
  com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here> >
  >  > <<A
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou>
  pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=654593971> > > > Send BUG
  REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx>
  o.com>  Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing > >
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cu7mmld/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg>
  roupweb/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1071425756/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.>
  com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here> >
  >  > <<A
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou>
  pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=104761065> > > > Send BUG
  REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx>
  <<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  Terms of Service.Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at:<A
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.