[amibroker] Re: PositionScore Ideas (caution with compound rankings)

Ken,

You may well be right that a PositionScore based on a compound of
various items will give the best results. That makes sense.

However, adding items to the PositionScore compound will quickly
increase the "degrees of freedom" to make "curve fitting" a much
larger danger.

That does not mean it should not be attempted. It does mean that one
will need to take special care to avoid curvefitting, or to use OOS
verification to detect it.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ken Close" <closeks@xxxx> wrote:
> "PHSST"!!
>
> I meant to ask...can you express in words what you THINK the QP QST
> variable is measuring.  When you say it mimics the IBD RS
variable, what
> is that?  Is it simply (nothing is simple I know) Relative
Strength??

> In reading this thread and thinking about some of my experiences,
I have
> decided that creating a "predictive" PositionScore is another
attempt to
> find that expression that yields movement in the future like you
think
> or want it to be.  Expecting that PositionScore will be a single
number
> or variable is, unfortunately, hunting for the Holy Grail.    I
suspect
> that powerful, profitable PositionScore statements will be
composed of a
> variety of components.
>
> Ken

QRS,
> and thank you for clearing that up for me. I verified this by
> exploring on QRS. Beta doesn't seem to get updated at all!! I
explored
> back until 1996, and the beta for AAPL remains the same 1.843 from
Jan
> 1996 until today. Same for other tickers. So, beta is worthless, at
> least the one QP2 gives.
> >
> > AV

QP2
> database.
> >
> >   Just a suggestion... set aside whatever preconcieved notions
you may
> >   have about this and take the time to research it and do a
little due
> >   diligence. You might be glad you did.
> >
> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx>
wrote:
> >   > Thanks, Phsst. I'm a QP2 user also. But all those QP2
GetExtraData
> >   variables are not updated daily, so I don't think they would be
> useful
> >   for a short-term trading system like I was talking about. Using
> >   PositionScore over a modest time period, you'd get the same 4
stocks
> >   all the time, wouldn't you, or at least until they get updated.
> >   Perhaps QRS gets updated weekly, so maybe that wouldn't be as
bad,
> but
> >   I think I'd like something that is more reflective of the trade
> system
> >   duration, in other words, something that I can update daily at
EOD.
> >   >
> >   >
QP2
> QRS
> >   >   value is supposed to be a 'knockoff' of the IBD RS ranking
> score.
> >   >
> >   >   I almost always get a significant boost using this ranking
> figure as
> >   >   as the positionscore.
> >   >
> >   >   If you do not have QP2, but have any ideas about how to do
> your own RS
> >   >   Rank calculation, I'd be happy to run some comparisons for
you
> (or
> >   >   anyone else) to measure your calculated RS Rank against
QP2's
> QRS
> >   rank.
> >   >
> >   >   Cheers,
> >   >
> >   >   Phsst
> >   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa"
<advenosa@xxxx>
> wrote:
> >   >   > Hi, all:
> >   >   >
> >   >   > I've been experimenting with variuos short term trading
> systems
> >   >   lately (average trade durations of about 2.5 days), and I
was
> looking
> >   >   for ideas on how best to rank a watchlist to get the best
> candidates
> >   >   for portfolio trading a basket of 4 stocks. I was
wondering if
> anyone
> >   >   would care to share any ideas on how you use the
PositionScore
(http://www.grisoft.com).
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >   >   (Web page:
> >   >   --------------------------------------------
> >   >   Check group FAQ at:
> >   >
> >   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> Service.
> >   >
> >   >
> >   >   ---