[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker or MetaStock?

Coming from Metastock, I know exactly what's in there. Metastock has
very polished look in GUI and backtest system. Also they also have
many systems and "plug-ins" you can choose from if you are willing
to pay more.

However, there are some serious drawbacks:
1. Most their systems and plug-ins are black-box ones, and I found
it hard to bet my money based on something I didn't fully
understand.
2. I have heard that there are some bugs in EOD edition (which I
once owned) and you need to use the Professional edition which is
way too expansive IMO.
3. Hard to get support for MS and its systems should you have
questions or problems.
4. Their MS FL is very limited and very slow. You can't do portfolio
trading backtest with the built-in backtest system.
5. You need to use downloader to convert data every day unless you
use the data source from their parent company. AmiBroker can work
with some many data sources seamlessly.

As to your question, I don't think you need to get through learning
MS's trading systems before trying out AmiBroker. The ways they work
are quite different anyway. The new version of AB (4.50) has vastly
improved reporting sub-system for backtesting. Just jump right into
AB and in a few months you will be answering other people's
questions here in this newsgroup :-D

- Mark H.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "croh" <croh@xxxx> wrote:
> I am truly delighted to see such a spirited and helpful discussion
> forum among AmiBroker users. The sheer force of such an excellent
> unselfish group will virtually guarantee the success of AmiBorker
and
> its users. Congratulations if you are one of the users.
>
> I recently purchased MetaStock, and I am in real dilemma after
> discovering AmiBroker. MetaStock is easy to learn and I like that
> there are over 100 well-organized trading systems, tested and
> sanctioned(?) by Equis. With AmiBroker, there are no less variety
of
> systms contributed by volunteers. But I am no programmer, and to
this
> uninitiated, I don't know I can sort out which systems are worth
> trying or if any of the sytems published are error free and usable.
> (looking at the AFL Libriary, there seems to be a fair amount of
> scripts which are incomplete or contain errors.)
>
> I really like the AmiBroker user community, but I am not sure this
is
> for the green horns, who have not used computerized systms before.
> Should I gain some experience for trading systems with MetaStock,
> before I adopt AmiBorker? If I started with AmiBroker, I will have
no
> idear what systems to start with.
>
> I don't know I will get anyone's response, but I wish well to such
> spirited group.
>
> PS, It will be nice if Tomasz' team or a volunteer group can
review
> the contributed systms and publish some kind of "Officail
AmiBroker

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511