RE: [amibroker] most effective way to learn AFL

Welcome dorzfn,You don't have to buy the PowerScan
add-on to start with. You can download a trial version and have a play with
that. There are also some tutorials on my site located here: <A
href=""
target=_blank>http://www.amitools.com/formulahelp.htmPay particular
attention to the english expression of the formula whilst comparing it too the
AFL code, this will give you a clue as to what the code is actually
doing.What will propel you to get acquainted with AFL very quickly
is to have a particular problem in mind that you need to find a
solution for and start with that.i.e. you might want
to find all tickers with a current closing price above the
current 30 bar moving average and display the prices/volume in the AA window:
(see below)Settings for AA window: <FONT
size=2>ApplyTo: All StocksRange: n last quotations    n =
1
Below is the code that can be used in the Automatic
Analysis Window and run using the Explore button (using the AA
settings above):
/* Created using
PowerScan date: 27 Nov 2003 The Close Price of the current bar is
greater than the Simple MA (Medium) of the current bar */<FONT
face="Courier New"> <FONT
color=#000000>Filter = <FONT
color=#000000>Close > <FONT
color=#0000ff>MA( <FONT
color=#000000>Close, <FONT
color=#ff00ff>30 );
AddColumn(
Close, <FONT
color=#ff00ff>"Close  "<FONT
color=#000000> ); AddColumn<FONT
color=#000000>( Open<FONT
color=#000000>, "Open  "<FONT
face="Courier New"> ); <FONT
color=#0000ff>AddColumn( <FONT
color=#000000>High, <FONT
color=#ff00ff>"High  "<FONT
color=#000000> ); AddColumn<FONT
color=#000000>( Low<FONT
color=#000000>, "Low  "<FONT
size=3> );
AddColumn(
Volume,
<FONT
color=#ff00ff>"Volume      "<FONT
color=#000000> ); <FONT
size=2>You can find out from the help what each of the above functions do by
pasting the above code in the AA window and left clicking on the various
functions then press the F1 key, this is a good way to work out what they do. Or
simply do a search in the user guide. There are many learning approaches and I'm
sure you will get lots of suggestions from other members on the board. Once you
get to the level where  you more or less know the basics you can learn a
lot from answering other users questions on this forum.
Best of luck,William Peters<A
href="">www.amitools.com
-----Original Message-----From: dorzfn [<A
href="">mailto:dorzfn@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday
November 27, 2003 12:12 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[amibroker] most effective way to learn AFLI have no programing
skills and just purchased this software. I'mstruggling thru the help area,in
trying to code for myself. thequestion i have  is, what is the most
effective way to learn all ofthis by myself? Should i buy the powerscan
plugin also? I want tolearn how to write the code for myself,but I'm not
making anyprogress on the way im doing it now and any suggestions would
begreatly appreciated ! thank you------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->Buy Ink Cartridges or
Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or LexmarkPrinter at MyInks.com. Free
s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.<A
href=""
target=_blank>http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511<A
href=""
target=_blank>http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GHeqlB/TM---------------------------------------------------------------------~->Send
AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(Web page: <A
href=""
target=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)--------------------------------------------Check
group FAQ at: <A
href=""
target=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.htmlYour
use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A href=""
target=_blank>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/