RE: [amibroker] "Random prices" (was Re: Backtest using equity curve)

>Howard,<span
class=EmailStyle18>

class=EmailStyle18>

>I have
been reading with interest the &#8220;Random Prices&#8221; posts and I thought I would way
in.<font size=2 color=navy
face=Arial>

class=EmailStyle18>

>As we all
know, this is a fundamental issue regarding trading.  Academics believe the market is random and therefore over
time a trader will not be able to make money.  I have read many authors who make this case and of course
they do so convincingly.

>After
giving it considerable thought over the years my conclusion is as follows.<span
>  Markets are not random.<span
>  The stock market is a process whereby
buyers and sellers are in search of the true value of a stock (as in any other
market).  The true value of a stock
ultimately prevails.  In retrospect
it is easy to recognize.  A
regression line, for instance, can be drawn through a set of price data and one
could argue that this line represents the actual value of the stock.<span
>  The stock prices oscillating around the
regression representing perceived value being pulled by actual value like
gravity pulls a planet.  Looking
forward the slope of the line is unknown and it is this unknown that causes volatility
in the current price.  It is here
that randomness is introduced into the system.  Real value is affected by real events that are not
predictable, but are random.  For
example the Exxon Valdez (SP?).  This
certainly affected the slope of the regression line and was not predicted.<span
>  Predictably, it caused volatility in
the perceived value of the stock at the time in excess of the change of actual
value.  I realize that this is not
a dramatic example.  Another
example is the .com bubble.  This
is an example of perceived value getting way out of line with actual
value.  Constant with what I have
said real value overruled in the end.

>Most of us
on this board are focused upon the twilight zone or the leading edge of the
process.  As I have said there is randomness
at this point.  This randomness is quantified
by price volatility.  If volatility
is low randomness is low, or perceived randomness is low.<span
>  Many systems attempt to exploit over reaction
by the market to these random events.
For example Over Bought Over Sold indicators, Bollinger Bands, etc.<span
>  When overreactions does not occur the
prices go sideways or are tight around the regression line and can be the
source of Whip Saws.

conclude, there is order and randomness occuring at the same time.<span
>  I am suggesting that the short-term
trader is attempting to identify these two forces and make money by exploiting
the difference.