RE: [amibroker] Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing Signals

<SPAN
class=104414103-19112003>Chuck, not to be lazy, but how did you go about
creating your random subsets? have you found that results from them correlate
well to All Stocks?
<SPAN
class=104414103-19112003>
<SPAN
class=104414103-19112003>dave
<SPAN
class=104414103-19112003>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  You
  and I are certainly singing from the same hymnal.   Thanks for
  saying it so succinctly!
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT
  size=2>IMO, we should always be backtesting against all stocks with all of the
  filtering going on in the AFL.   Not that  there's anything
  wrong with preliminary testing on a (random) subset.   My stock
  database (that I use with AB) now contains 17,000 stocks including about 9,000
  de-listed stocks.<FONT
  face="Courier New"> I have random subsets of that database
  comprising 2,000, 5,000 and 11,000 stocks that I use when I'm in a hurry to
  see some results.<FONT
  face="Courier New">
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
    size=2>not chande, don't play him on tv, but
    here's my take fwiw. IMO, the selection of the initial universe to test is
    the result of another set of filters with another set of parameters that
    aren't being talked about at the moment, and are just as subject to
    (over)optimization as anything else.
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>most fixed universes smaller than All Stocks are
    really hard to backtest reliably without bias, so I don't when I'm testing
    for real. for example, testing in '98 using the '03 N100 is looking
    into the future and selecting only stocks that ended up big 5 years later --
    a major long bias. even if you have historical N100 membership data,
    for example, it's hard to apply it on a continuous basis over the life
    of a test.
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>so, I often test ideas out on small subsets for
    speed, but nearly always plan on running against all stocks eventually, and
    build in the criteria needed to narrow the stocks considered as required. if
    you do anything else, I'd suggest it needs some careful
    thought.
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>
    <SPAN
    class=579214201-19112003>dave
    <BLOCKQUOTE
    >Dead
      silence on a question of seemingly high importance means you haveasked
      a dumb (really dumb) question.  Maybe like letting a loud fart
      inchurch.I'll go back to Chande and other sources and try to
      determine why myquestion below was such a dumb one.Thanks for
      taking pity on me and not saying anything.Ken-----Original
      Message-----From: Ken Close [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx] Sent:
      Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:03 AMTo: AmiBroker ListSubject:
      [amibroker] Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing SignalsHere is
      a (perhaps) semi philosophical question:We are familiar with the
      various pitfalls and prohibitions in optimizingand "curve-fitting"
      timing systems.Do the same pitfalls and prohibitions exist for
      keeping a constanttiming signal (whatever it is) yet optimizing
      variables that alterbasket selection criteria?  Can you "curve
      fit" a set of selectioncriteria?It "feels" like the problems
      would be different (and perhaps minimized)because of the dynamic
      changes that occur, ESPECIALLY if stop conditionsare used.  OTOH,
      I suppose it would not be different using the samecriteria on the same
      basket of stocks over the same time period  as thiswould yield
      the same baskets of stocks each time.  What I mean by thatis that
      for a given combination of criteria, the same stocks would
      beselected.Hard to visualize.Any comments on this
      aspect?Ken