RE: [amibroker] Re: Backtest using equity curve

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>After reading my post below i realize all this can be tested in
the new Portfolio tester using PositionScore, no longer a need to write separate
code as we used to do :-) must try this soon.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Thanks Tomasz! There are always numerous new applications made
possible with the new features you introduce...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Herman vandenBergen
  [mailto:psytek@xxxxxxxx]Sent: November 16, 2003 9:49
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: Backtest using equity curve

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>imho Equity feedback can only be expected to work in short term
  trading systems, i.e. something like 1 to 5 day
  trades.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2> <FONT
  size=2>It would make sense to use separate equity curves for Long and
  Short positions. <SPAN
  class=350183801-16112003>The
  L&S composite equity curve may go up while the Short equity curve is going
  down, same for the Long side. The feedback equity array should be
  sampled with the last trade of the same type, i.e. do not include the
  last Long trade period in the evaluation of the Short equity, this is
  essentially a Cash priod for the Short equity and carries no
  information - unless your system is perfectly
  symmetrical...

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>herman.

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: quanttrader714
    [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: November 16, 2003 9:38
    AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
    Re: Backtest using equity curveI took a quick look
    at this a while ago and wound up with similarfindings.  For the
    (good) systems I looked at, equity feedback (onlytaking trades when
    equity is above MA) hurt performance.  Then Ilooked at what would
    happen if only taking trades when equity is belowthe MA and the results
    were even worse.  At which point I dropped thestudy and didn't
    bother to look at mediocre systems or try to confirmthe results with
    another method.  Not saying this is the definitiveanswer, but would
    love to see quantitative evidence to the contrary.--- In
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "giggollo99" <giggollo@xxxx> wrote:>
    Hi Herman, Glenn:> > I did some studies on this idea about a
    year ago with futures data. > For example, as Glenn suggested, "No
    new entries if a closed trade > crosses below a moving average of the
    equity curve and re-enterwhen > a closed trade crosses above the
    moving average." Interstingly I > found one potential problem to be
    that you would miss out on the > winning trades that were carrying
    the equity back over its MA and > would trigger you to start taking
    your system trades again. Without > equity feedback, those trades add
    to your bottomline and make a big > difference i found. However, you
    are always taking the trades that > take you back under the equity
    curve. This is certainly an > interesting approach and requires
    further study perhaps with other > data sets.> >
    Tomasz: Thanks a lot for the portfolio backtester..itsamazing..look
    > forward to seeing the pyramiding feature implemented in the future
    > hopefully> > best regards to all> g>
    problem with using equity curve > to start/stop your system >
    > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman
    vandenBergen" > <psytek@xxxx> wrote:> > Metastock is
    a few years behind me :-)> > > > Yes it is great fun to
    create combos; systems build up from > several systems.> >
    You can use the signals from a slow system to qualify signalsfrom
    > a fast> > system (like a trend qualifier). Or you can use
    the Long equity > from slow> > system one as a trend
    indicator for system number two. You can > even pack a> >
    large number of systems (perhaps including some duplicate systems >
    but with> > different parameters) into one piece of code and
    optimize for the > best> > signal combination from the lot
    of them. When you separate Long > and Short> > equities
    they can become trend indicators for the system under > test,
    it> > uniquely reflects the trend sensitivities for the system,
    much > better then a> > totally unrelated trend
    indicator... imho> > > > Unlimited possibilities, aren't
    you glad you bought AmiBroker :-)> > > > herman>
    Glenn [mailto:glennokb@xxxx]> >   Sent: November 12,
    2003 3:10 PM> >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    >   Subject: [amibroker] Re: Backtest using equity
    curve> > > > > >   Hi
    Herman,> > > >   Thanks for your reply.
    Excellent!> > > >   Have you done much testing
    with your equity curve to change your> >   systems
    parameters?> > > >   I've done most of my
    backtesting with Metastock and Tradesimand > been>
    >   waiting for ages for Tradesim to have this in it.>
    > > >   Ami has been able to do it all along!>
    > > >   Cheers Glenn> > >
    >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman vandenBergen"
    > <psytek@xxxx>> >   wrote:>
    >   > You can cascade as many systems as you like, even
    different > ones,> >   and use>
    >   > the Equity from the previous one as a parameter in the
    next > system.> >   I know>
    >   > this can be done with the old backtester and think it
    should > also> >   work in>
    >   > the new PF tester.> >
    >> >   > // system one code here>
    >   > E1 = Equity(1);> >   >>
    >   > // System two code here> >   >
    Buy = Buy and (some function of E1);> >   > E2 =
    Equity(1);> >   >> >   > //
    System three code here> >   > Buy = Buy and (some
    function of E2);> >   > E3 = Equity(1);>
    >   > etc.> >   >>
    >   > You essentially redefine the buy signal as often as
    needed(afl> >   executes> >
    > line after line and never looks back), the last definition >
    will be> >   what> >   >
    determines your results.> >   >>
    >   > Herman> >   >>
    curve> >   >> >   >>
    >   >   Hi,> >   >>
    >   >   I'm was wondering if it is possible in AB
    to incorporate the> >   equity curve>
    >   >   of a system within a backtest, using it to
    test the > following:> >   >>
    >   >   a. No new entries if a closed trade
    crosses below a moving> >   average of>
    >   >   the equity curve and re-enter when a
    closed trade crosses > above> >   the>
    >   >   moving average. Another idea is to use a
    percentage on the > equity> >   curve>
    >   >   instead of a moving average.>
    >   >> >   >   b. Using the
    above also test tightening the actual trailing > stop>
    >   on the> >   >   open
    trades. ie: if a closed trade crosses below a moving >
    average> >   (or> >
    >   whatever) then instead of using a 3 x ATR stop then use a 2
    > x ATR> >   stop> >
    >   on the open trades.> >   >>
    >   >   Note that the trades in between the exit
    and entry need tobe> >   tracked for>
    >   >   the re-entry.> >
    >> >   >   If this is possible, do you
    know how to set it up please?> >   >>
    >   >   Cheers, Glenn> > > >
    > >         Yahoo! Groups

    ADVERTISEMENT> > > > > > > >
    > >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>
    >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> >
    Yahoo! Terms of > Service.Send BUG REPORTS
    to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
    <A
    group FAQ at: <A
    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.