RE: [amibroker] Re: Trading mutual funds...

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Jitu,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
may not be aware, but there are some mutual funds (Rydex, ProFunds) that when
you "buy" them, you are effectively taking on a "short"
position.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: jtelang
  [mailto:jtelang@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 10:11
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Trading mutual funds...Fred,From this, do I
  understand it correctly that one can't goshort on MF's? Why would one be
  sitting on cash otherwise?Or may be I'm not following what you said
  below...Jitu--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> One other note regarding short term
  trading ... There are of course > ways to accomplish the same thing
  with out actually taking the short > term trades i.e. by hedging
  using a bear oriented fund leaving you > more or less market neutral
  during the period of time when you would > have been sitting in
  cash.> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> > See below ...> > >
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher" > >
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> > > Maybe some of you guys
  (and gals) who trade mutual funds can > answer > > a
  couple> > > of questions?> > > > > >
  1.  If there's no money to be made in (rotational trading of) >
  > ETF's, am I> > > correct when I assume that there's no money
  to be made in the > Rydex-> > like> > > funds
  that only mimic an index?> > > > > > >
  Rydex's funds are pretty much either index or sector oriented.  >
  This > > is not the kind of thing I personally like to trade.
  But for > example > > if you have a system that trades SPX,
  NDX or RUT well or is good at > > jumping on the sector that's
  likely to be hot next as opposed to > the > > one that just
  was then it would certainly work in this scenario.> > > >
  > 2.  Based on current rules and redemption penalties, which >
  families > > of> > > mutual funds can you recommend for
  rotational trading?> > > > > > > I don't
  personally trade on what one would consider to be a > > rotational
  basis.  As I and Ken stated, erf's or the funds > management
  > > policies will eventually weed out most if not all the short term
  > > traders, especially the ones with large dollars.  So if you
  are > > looking to trade mf's with some sort of short term oriented
  > > rotational system as opposed to one that trades on an
  intermediate > > basis picking good candidates at the beginning
  of a market buy and > > for the most part holding them until a
  market sell then you are > going > > to find yourself pretty
  much limited to Rydex, ProFunds & Potomac.> > > > >
  3.  If most (or all) such families of funds charge early >
  redemption > > fees, is> > > it safe to assume that you
  are trading these mid to long term?> > > > > >
  There's no sense in me working on a system that appears to do > well,
  > > only to> > > find that redemption fees are going to
  kill me.   Or, is it > > possible that> > >
  there's enough money to be made that the fees are of little > >
  consequence?> > > > > > > Most do NOT yet
  charge erf's and as you can see from prior posts > it's > >
  debatable as to whether or not they will and if so what the minimum
  > > holding periods will be to trigger those.  For short term
  oriented > > traders adding a 1-2% erf in a 7-14 day period
  would be enough to > > send them elsewhere or to a different
  methodology.  What the SEC or > > the fund companies
  themselves will do with this remains to be > seen.  > >
  They really can't afford to be too outrageous with it as every > >
  401k/IRA/VA account holder on the planet will be screaming bloody >
  > murder.> > > > > Out of all of the above, I'm
  really interested in some > > recommendations on> > >
  mutual fund families to trade.  I can then go do my own > >
  investigation as to> > > their fees, etc and devise my own
  systems that will work with > those > > fees.> >
  reason to just like > > there is no real reason to arbitrarilly
  limit ones trading in > stocks > > to some specific group
  based on whatever.> > > > > ThanksSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.