Re: [amibroker] Portfolio Trading Presentation

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind comments.  The idea behind the presentation is that timing and selection should be viewed separately so that the results of one don't cloud the other, and then bring the two together in a synergistic fashion.  More importantly, selection is value-added to a solid timing methodology.

In other words, we want a selection method that matches our timing signal.  When we are trading short-term, swing-trading systems for example, we would want as much beta as we can stand to maximize returns over the period.  Clearly there are other selection methods for short-term systems.

An example in the mutual fund world is the RUTVOL signal which is an intermediate term signal. Consequently, we'd want a selection method that matches that holding period.  A good example is Werner Gansz' ncAlpha which essentially is telling you how well-behaved the price action is over a given period.  UPI is another interesting selection method for int-term systems.

If this isn't too much info, then you could blend the two where you have a short term selection method on day of entry, but change your ranking method as the trade develops.

As many have written on this board, AmiBroker is limited only by what your imagination can produce.  All of the above discoveries have only come about since my use of AB.

Hope this helps,
Gary

john gibb <jgibb1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

nice presentation, Gary!

Can you clarify or elaborate on the beta-volatility relationship you imply here (i hope I have quoted you accurately)?

    "...beta (for selection) is more of a swing-term-selection methodology (where you are just trading pure volatility off of biotech)..."

thanks,

john