RE: [amibroker] Re: Robustness Challenge Update

wanted to chime here and let you know that I'm interested in what you've
presented but alas I spent more time in a band during my college days than I did
studying.  Hence, I found it hard to follow you in the latter steps of your
methodology.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
could lead us thru an example it would sure help me out.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thanks
for all of your time on this!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: quanttrader714
  [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, November 05,
  2003 6:43 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [amibroker] Re: Robustness Challenge UpdateGary,
  Fred, anyone else,First let me correct you (Gary), there's *no such
  thing* as too muchcoffee!  As the folks at Caribou say, "Life is
  short. Stay awake forit."Fair comments by both of you.  *If*
  we did this, I'd need to *atleast* post a user-friendly version of the
  robustness criteria, alongwith a step-by-step analysis of one or more
  systems, with code sopeople can follow along.  I may post a
  marginally robust system ifthat was needed to get the ball rolling but I'd
  much prefer that itwas something the group came up with...  not only
  because I don't wantthe systems to be clones of my ideas, someone may come
  up withsomething better, but also for a sense of group ownership.  Or
  maybewe could simply have a "most robust system" contest.  I normally
  don'tshare systems but would strongly consider it as part of
  acollaborative group effort.  BTW Fred, if you're talking
  aboutProSizer for MCS, it looks like it would be sufficient but I'd have
  noproblem getting a copy to verify.Gary, as for your point about
  "having difficulty seeing thevalue-added of going through such a rigorous
  process" my response is-- and this is not slam -- "Opportunity is missed
  by most peoplebecause it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --
  Thomas A.Edison.  If you think this is bad, check out how I forecast
  optionvolatility sometime!  I'm definitely not saying that what I
  presentedis the only way but I am saying it's a fairly systematic
  andmechanical way to evaluate system robustness.  Even if
  laborintensive.  What first attracted me to trading was I thought it
  wouldbe an easy way to make big bucks.  What I found was that it's
  notrocket science but it is *hard work* (for me anyway, but work that
  Ilove) and that even if you're willing to put in the time there
  arestill innumerable ways to fail.Regards,Mark---
  In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A.
  Serkhoshian"<serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:> That should read
  halving CAR and doubling MaxDD.  Too much coffeetoday.>
  > "Gary A. Serkhoshian" <serkhoshian777@xxxx>
  wrote:Mark,>  > I think the main problem I am having is
  that you are light yearsahead of my systems analysis, and with my rather
  inexperienced eyes Iam having difficulty seeing the value-added of going
  through such arigorous process.>  > I'm getting my arms
  around sensitivity analysis (by the way, I havethe 3D excel sheet working
  if any have questions), and have playedwith some MCS spreadsheets to give
  me some worst case scenarios.  Iwalk away from this process with a
  sense of how sensitive my paramswill be to change in the markets
  (hopefully not much == smooth curve),and a worst case scenario via
  MCS.  FWIW, my MCS analysis ends up inthe ballpark of Fred's
  suggestion of halving CAR and doubling MAR.  >  > It's
  kind of like asking the security guard at the art gallery tocritique a
  Monet painting.  He'll appreciate it on a superficiallevel, but his
  lack of experience prevents much more.>  > This is probably
  A LOT more than you care to do, but to carry Fred'spoint a step further
  would be a screen cam movie where you walkthrough the whole process from
  start to finish.  You can downloadCamtasia and use the 30day free
  trial.  That way, we security guardscan learn how to better interpret
  the artwork, but doing it in amanner that isn't piece-meal and allows
  learning for future new users.Again, probably a lot more work than you
  care to put in, and I don'tblame you for the wages we are paying you :
  )>  > Kind Regards,> Gary> > Fred
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> Mark,> > I seem to be
  participating more than most which I at least find tobe > a little
  strange.  One of the probs for some will be the need tofind >
  and install a decent MCS product.  Some won't want to spend the $,
  > some won't want to spend the time etc.  By the way Alex
  Matulichhas > a product in this area for I think about $37 that
  midgt fill thebill > for those who are interested but don't want to
  go for a more indepth > product.> > Beyond that
  though as I stated at the beginning, I have noparticular > interest
  in the last couple of steps you outlined i.e. publication > and real
  account trading.> > In my case I can't even say that I have a
  great data vendor for > stocks because as I've stated previously I
  don't really tradestocks.> > That aside for a minute, I have
  suggestion which may be a littleoff > the wall but I'll put it out
  there any way.  Since you've obviously > been doing this for some
  time, how 'bout starting the group offwith > a little system that
  although you might consider to be robust evenif > only marginally
  is also something that you don't actually use for > trading any
  more.  This would at least allow some to go through the > process
  with something that at least sort of works so they can > proceed from
  there.> > Just an idea ...> > Fred>
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "quanttrader714" >
  <quanttrader714@xxxx> wrote:> > Now that I've posted the
  criteria, I feel we've had some good> > discussions but frankly
  don't see enough interest out there to > provide> > the
  effort it would take to refine the criteria or even use as is,> >
  develop some robust systems, write a trading plan, iron the
  bugsout> > in simulated trading and then trade in real time with
  real money.> I'm> > actually surprised there's not more
  interest in participating inthe> > trading process from soup to
  nuts as I've outlined, especially > since I> > offered to put
  up the $.  Would be quite an education for anyone,no> >
  matter how much experience they have, but particularly fornewbies.
  > > Not to mention fun.  Which is why I offered to lead such
  aneffort > in> > the first place.  No hidden agendas
  here.  > > > > Anyway, if I've misread things and you
  are interested, *pleaseemail> > me privately* and let me know
  the extent to which you personally > would> > like to
  participate.  If I get enough emails indicating there is> >
  critical mass, I'll either start this in Amibroker-ts or in a new> >
  group that everyone here would be welcome to join. If not thenI'll>
  > still be around, in drips and drabs, as I have in the past.
  Thanks> > for the interesting and civil discussions.>
  > > > Regards,> > > > Mark> >
  > > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to
  AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > (Web
  page: <A