Re: [amibroker] Re: Backtesting and statistics

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:31:38 -0000, in Amibroker you wrote:

> If Tomasz ever did add this, it would much more useful for the report
> to contain the p values rather than raw chi-square. Only problem is,
> with any large backtest you'll get a lot of "significant" results by
> chance alone.  Then you'd need another test, lol, to see if you have
> more significant results than you'd expect by chance given the size of
> the backtest.

I'm not saying that you should solely rely on the chi-square to
evaluate a backtest. But I think it gives valuable additional info
about an aspect that is probably often overlooked.

> I'm a huge fan of Arthur Merrill but can think of more
> useful (statistical) functionality to add (in my opinion) if Tomasz
> were ever so inclined.

What do you propose?

> BTW, this is very easy to do in a spreadsheet
> with results pasted from AA.  You could even make a template so it
> would be nearly effortless.

Sure, but I think integrating this figure in the report window is
easier for most users.

Regards, Thomas

--
Thomas Ludwig
PGP key (RSA) available on request.
Fingerprint: 4356 55FF 3412 277A  9741 1CFA B9A6 7B90

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/GHeqlB/TM