RE: [amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #1

This
will be a continuing problem. We've already got some wanting to write code to
enhance the CMO. IMHO these are not helpful in a thread like this - they get us
off on tangents that will do nothing to keep this thing orderly enough to be
successful.   Since its your thread then you drive it based on what
you think is right.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
This
is gonna be tuff!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

-----Original Message-----From:
quanttrader714 [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday,
November 03, 2003 11:29 AMTo:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post
If there's sufficient interest, as
  time permits.  I'm kinda caughtbetween a rock and a hard place on
  this... people want these *now*,but I need to make them suitable for
  public consumption.  I've runthese tests a zillion times and know
  them and their nuances, buttrying to put them into non-technical but
  usable sound bites isanother story.  I'm also looking for
  illustrative examples, so stay tuned.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "leonardot19" <leo.timmermans@xxxx>wrote:> Hi Anthony,
  Mark,> > This is a good idea. This will allow for the less
  gifted, like myself > (lol) to follow more closely.> >
  "Anthony Faragasso" <ajf1111@xxxx> > wrote:> >
  Mark,> > > > Thanks for the thread....How about exploring
  each of your 9 points > of> > Robustness with a sample simple
  System....then (you / we ) can > apply each> > point to this
  sample system....with your direction....and discuss > why this>
  "quanttrader714" <quanttrader714@xxxx>> > To:
  <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003
  11:13 AM> > Subject: [amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #1>
  > Good question.  When someone posts something and I want to check
  > it> > > out (I actually run at least the lite version on
  almost everything> > > posted here), I initially use their
  numbers.  If I want to explore> > > further I optimize (lol)
  the system on a different database, plot > the> > >
  optimized parameters against performance measures and choose a set>
  > > of values that seems robust by eyeballing the graphs.  When
  I> > > wrote: "Test *unoptimized* system on small, mid &
  large cap > stocks in> > > bull, bear & sideways
  market conditions, same parameters for all" > I> > > was
  really trying to say, don't make a special case for each mkt >
  cap> > > and mkt condition subtest by optimizing, use the same
  parameters > for> > > all subtests.> >
  "dingo" <dingo@xxxx> wrote:> > > > Thanks for the post
  MF2!> > > >> > > > Given Steve's example of
  the CMO5 which I assume is coded to > detect> > >
  the> > > > cross of the indicator thru a value, how would you
  determine > that> > > value> > > > for
  your intial testing?  This is the case below where you > say
  Message-----> > > > From: MarkF2
  [mailto:feierstein@xxxx]> > > > Sent: Saturday, November 01,
  2003 2:50 PM> > > > To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
  > > Subject: [amibroker] On Robustness, Post #1> > >
  and others' requests to provide more> > > > details on my 9
  robustness criteria.> > > >> > > > First some
  administrative anouncements, lol.  I've decided to> > >
  provide> > > > them one-by-one, first due to my time
  constraints, second > because I> > > > feel that's the
  best way to discuss them and third because I > want> > >
  to> > > > see how this goes.  I welcome all constructive
  debate, > especially> > > > opposing views supported by
  quantitative analysis.  But if this> > > > degenerates
  into a flame war, I've got better things to do with > my> >
  > > time.  Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with
  respect.> > > There> > > > seems to be a lot of
  interest in this topic, so let's please > have a> > > >
  collegial and productive discussion.  This is post 1 of 9 (not>
  > > > counting the dialog inbetween, let's see how far we can get
  :-).> > > >> > > > Why care about
  robustness?  For whatever reasons, markets > change.> >
  series theory, > serial> > > > dependencies, random
  walk, nonstationarity, etc., like > academicians> > > >
  do and get nowhere (as they do), or we can try to cut through >
  the> > > crap> > > > and deal with it (the simple
  fact that markets constantly > change).> > > > My
  weapon of choice is robustness.  You could say I have a> > >
  robustness> > > > obsession and my criteria are
  overkill.  But that's my choice > and> > > >
  you're free to make your own on how far you want to take this, >
  if> > > at> > > > all.> > >
  discussion of> > > statistics> > > > because some
  criteria are steeped in statistical theory.  But > most>
  > > > can be reduced to simple, mechanical procedures that can be
  > graphed> > > in> > > > a spreadsheet and
  visually and intuitively interpreted.  Others> > > >
  require simulation software and one requires proprietary >
  software> > > but> > > > we'll cross that bridge
  when we come to it.> > > >> > > > Speaking of
  proprietary, there are some things I simply won't> > > >
  disclose, such as specific parameters for certain criteria.  So>
  > > please> > > > respect my wishes and don't ask.
  I have my reasons.  So > evaluate> > > this>
  > > > on your own and decide for yourself what place, if any, the
  > criteria> > > > have in your trading.  They work
  great for me but I make no > claim> > > that> >
  > > they're the Holy Grail of robustness and am sure that some of
  > you> > > will> > > > come up with better
  ideas if there's enough interest and> > > discussion.>
  Criterion #1:> > > >> > > > Test *unoptimized*
  system on small, mid & large cap stocks in > bull,> >
  > > bear & sideways market conditions, same parameters for
  all.  I > use> > > > the stocks of the S&P
  600, 400, and 500 indices and 2 year bull,> > > bear> >
  > > and sideways periods (for a total of 6 years per stock).
  > Rationale> > > > behind this: to find systems that
  profitably *tested out in the> > > past*> > > >
  on a large number of (somewhat tradeable) stocks of varying >
  market> > > > caps in multiple sectors under different market
  conditions, > under> > > the> > > >
  assumption that this indicates the system is robust enough to> >
  > > profitably *trade select issues in the future*.  More on
  robust> > > issue> > > > selection in later
  criteria. Looking for net profitability on > all> > >
  mkt> > > > cap and mkt condition subtests, and profitable on
  the majority > (>> > > > 50%) of issues in each
  subtest, the more the better.  Sometimes > I> > >
  cut> > > > a system some slack if it's close on one or two
  subtests, it's a> > > > judgement call.  My commission
  setting(s) in AB: proprietary, > based> > > > on my
  *slippage* research using data from actual trades.  But >
  you> > > > could choose an arbitrary say, 1% to get
  started.  Date > settings for> > > > my 2 year
  intervals: proprietary but you can easily find your > own> >
  > by> > > > eyeballing a chart of a major index.  Just
  use the same ones > each> > > > time so you compare
  apples to apples.   My lite version of this > is 2>
  > > > year bull and bear periods on the ND100 and SP100 stocks, which
  time someone posts a> > > system,> > > > run it
  through the lite or full version.  Or test the systems > in
  the> > > > AFL library.  The more systems you run
  through, the more > intuitive> > > of> > >
  > a feel for robustness you'll get.  Note that I'm *not* saying
  > you> > > > shouldn't or can't successfully trade
  something that doesn't > meet> > > > this standard,
  lol.  That's obviously not true!  I was asked to> > >
  > explain my robustness criteria and that's what I'm doing.  >
  Period.> > > > This criterion is a post-Amibroker creation,
  BTW.  Pre-> Amibroker I> > > had> > >
  > a small test portfolio of diverse issues I used instead and it >
  did a> > > > decent job. I run this now because I now (easily)
  can, *many* > thanks> > > > to Tomasz.  If you're
  thinking, geez, why bother with this, ask> > > > yourself a
  simple question. *All else being equal*, would you > feel> >
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116730.5333196.12>
  > > 61774/D=egroupweb/S=1705> > > >
  632198:HM/A=1754452/R=0/SIG=11tn6fnpm/*<A
  href="">http://ww> > >
  w.netflix.com/Default?mq> > > >
  so=60178324&partid=4116730> click here> > > >>
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730>
  > > .5333196.1261774/D=egrou> > > >
  pmail/S=:HM/A=1754452/rand=847508790>> > > >> >
  > > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> > > > Send
  SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> > > >
  the Yahoo! Terms of > Service> > > > <<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> > > Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx> > >
  <A