Re: [amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #1

Pal, what you say is OK theoretically. However, in trading, the only real
theory that applies is supply and demand. How one views that theory is what
makes the trading world go round and round. What may seem contrarian to you may
be the opposite to someone else. Thus, everything in trading is empirically
based, and you can make lots of money using empirical principles (and, of
course, lose lots, too). That's why statistical analysis is so important when
making trading decisions. You have to take into consideration the errors
involved in your observations and the probability of being right based on past
performance. You calculate your expectancy based on the % of winners and the
average win:loss ratio. If you have a positive expectancy, in the long run you
will make money if you are disciplined. If you know things like maximum dd,
expectancy, W/L ratios, based on your extensive backtesting, you can apply Monte
Carlo simulations (MCS) to your system to verify its robustness over
thousands of statistical trials. If the MCS results still give you acceptable
results you can live with, then you can probably proceed with trading it with
real money. But all of this is empirical, not theoretical. And it's legit, too.
Practice without fundamental theory is not impossible. People do it all the
time. As Joe said, the bottom line is, does your system make money? If it
does, who cares if there is not an underlying theory to what you are doing?

Al Venosa
<BLOCKQUOTE