[amibroker] Re: Robustness (was Robustivity)

Steve,
You just express the deterministic part of T/A.
[joined with robustness arguments or not]
It doesn´t mean it is the only interesting part of T/A.
You will see the next few days the aleatoric procedure applied to
your [deterministic] CMO5/34 example and you will have the results
for the comparison.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading" <kernish@xxxx>
wrote:
> Al,
>
> I should of used:  robustious, robustiousness, robustiously.  See
what happens when you get a Detroit Public School education.  My next
post will be in Ebonics.

> Aleatory:  are you sure this isn't a place where they brew beer?
>
> Take care,
>
> Steve

City?  KC is
>   undefeated and Chicago couldn't beat the local high school.  My
money is on
>   KC.
>
>   The stock betting setup is not handicapped (like almost all
games).  This
>   is basically a even money play (with subtractions for commission
and
>   slippage...juice/vigorish).  If you have 9,000 issues to play,
why won't
>   someone want to bet on the strongest performance?
>
>   I know that the explanation might be over simplified...but, the
people who
>   know me, in and out of this forum, know that this is the way I do
it.  I'm
>   not crusading for anything.  This works.  I've presented this
simplistic
>   approach publicly to large groups and in a number of internet
seminars. It
>   continues to crank out extraordinary profits.
>
>   Please let me know if the paragraphs help to explain the ranking.
>
>   Take care,
>
>   Steve

thought "robustivity"
>   should be evaluated, since you seemed to be contrasting your
approach to
>   walkforward optimization and the various other system measures
people were
>   talking about.
>
>     what I'm hearing in your response below isn't what I would
describe as a
>   specific method for distinguishing accidentally gorgeous backtest
results
>   from robustness. you do mention testing also at faster time
frames, which
>   isn't a technique that's been mentioned recently. but mostly, the
>   robustness label here seems to come from your integration of
various
>   aspects of your long experience with it, like your visual sense
of how it
>   behaves. am I missing something?
>
>     another question: you mention issue selection, the idea of
looking for
>   stocks you think will trade well with a particular indicator,
rather than
>   the other way around. how do you do that? by measuring raw past
growth
>   trading that indicator? other measures?
>
>     thanks again,
>
>     dave
>       just for my understanding, in what sense is this
system "robust"?

> [...]
my money,
>   for my style, this judge of momentum trades more things, more
accurately
>   than any other indicator I am aware of.  As I have begged many
times:  give
>   me something better...I'll use it instead of this.
>
>       is it robust because it works well on many stocks, indexes
and funds
>   over a long period of time?
>
>       Yes, it works well on many stocks and indexes.  I don't trade
funds,
>   but, some fund managers, DTG members, use versions of the CMO to
aid their
>   timing.
>
>       because of the concepts behind the indicator itself?
>
>       I process visually.  The math is beyond me.  My bottom line
has always
>   been the same:  give me an indicator that is smooth, yet
sensitive to
>   intermediate and major market turns.  After gawking hundreds of
charts,
>   everyday, for the last six years, I'm amazed at how this indicator
>   quantifies momentum.  I like versions of the Stochastic RSI and
the
>   Standard Error Oscillator, but dollar for dollar, the CMO does it
for me.

>       something else?
>
>       I think there's a few other things to mention.  First of all,
the ETF's
>   that I showed were chosen because they represent a broad range of
stocks
>   and are popular trading instruments.  Do I suggest trading these
issues
>   with this system?  No way.  The CMO5 trades a lot of other issues
with
>   better results than the ETF's.  I always allow the issues "to pick
>   themselves".  Trade the issues that return the greatest
percentages in a
>   stable system.
>
>       In it's stripped down version, as presented, the CMO5 is an
indicator
>   that can return steady profits (see equity lines) in it's rawest
>   unoptimized form.  Is that robust?
>
>       Robustness and optimizing/over-optimizing are fascinating and
>   misunderstood subjects.  Over the years, I've constantly
simplified my
>   approaches.  I can improve on the results of the three ETF's by
simply
>   "tweaking" the trigger levels.  But, will it walk forward better
than the
>   default triggers of 34/-34?  At least what I presented was out of
sample.

>       If an approach does a good job of identifying movement of
supply and
>   demand, the approach should not be expected to work on all
issues.  To say
>   a system needs to work on all  issues is total crap.   To say
that a system
>   sucks because it doesn't work on XYZ is another large pile.
Build simple
>   things and concentrate on issue selection.
>
>       Optimization leads to dark and spooky places.  Ranking leads
you down
>   the yellow brick road.
>
>       Take care,
>
>       Steve
>
>         steve, thanks for sharing this (again).
>

>         just for my understanding, in what sense is this
system "robust"?

>         is it because results are similar with different similar
periods and
>   thresholds? that seems unlikely, since there isn't very far to go
from 5 to
>   hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are significantly different. what
sort of
>   testing led you to decide on this period and threshold, and this
system for
>   that matter?
>
>         is it robust because it works well on many stocks, indexes
and funds
>   over a long period of time?
>
>         because of the concepts behind the indicator itself?
>
>         something else?
>

>         I'm not disputing the system's value, which I haven't
tested yet. I'm
>   trying to understand what kind of process you go through to
settle on a
>   system and settings.
>
>         thanks,
>
>         dave
>
>           1.  This exact system was presented over a year ago at
this forum
>           2.  The charts are OOS (since, it's been posted publicly
forever)
>           3.  Rules are simple:  Buy the opening of the next day
when the
>   CMO5 closes below -34 and sell when it triggers above 34.
>
>           Works on most issues (raw).  Works better if:
>
>           a.  You take trades only with the trend
>           b.  You protect yourself from large drawdowns (stop)
>           c.  You conjure a profit target (limit)
>           d.  You put in a time stop
>
>           This is the guts of an indicator and a logical systematic
approach.
>   Whistles and bells are optional (but, in my opinion necessary).
Again, if
>   you start with a pig, the prom dress doesn't make it look any
better.
>   Don't hang ornaments on a twisted Christmas tree.
>
>           Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

>     Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>     Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service.

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------
--
>   mail2web - Check your email from the web at
>   http://mail2web.com/ .
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

>   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx