Re: [amibroker] Re: Managing drawdowns (was % channels)

Pal:

Martingale betting will kill you regardless of your W/L ratio. You
mentioned trend-following systems. Such systems notoriously have a winning
percentage less than 50%, usually around 40-45%. So, when you have a moderately
large losing percentage (55 to 60% or more), the probability of your
experiencing 5 or 6 or 7 losses in a row is moderately high (0.6^6 = 4.7%). It
makes absolutely no difference what your W/L ratio is. It could be 10:1. But if
you double your bet size every time you lose, you lose big time if you don't get
that one big 10x win inbetween. Conversely, it makes eminent sense to increase
your bet size as you win. After all, you can look at it as betting the market's
money rather than your own. If you continue to keep your risk percentage
constant but increase the percentage of profits you risk on each trade,
your winnings will compound enormously. In other words, risk 1% of your capital
on all bets but if your profits increase by, say, 10%, risk 5% of the profits
plus your normal 1% of current capital. You'll make big money without increasing
your real risk. And if you lose, you LOWER your bet size, not raise it. That
way, you stay in the game in case you experience a run of losses.

Al Venosa
<BLOCKQUOTE