[amibroker] Re: Managing drawdowns (was % channels)

Thanks for link.  Something interesting mentioned there:

All the multitude of money management algorithms may be divided in
two principal classes: martingale and antimartingale.

Martingale methods state that the risk should increase as the capital
decreases. These methods are popular with traders trying to extract
profit from a series of losses or break-even trades.

Let us review an application of martingale in roulette. We bet 1$ on
a color and every time we lose, we double the bet. Next time after we
win, we start at 1$ again. If we lose 10 times in a row, which may
happen with a probability of (19/37)^10 or 0,13%, we'll have to bet
$1024 to win $1. Since in such a case the expected profit/risk ratio
is disastrously low, it is often supposed that martingale methods may
not be used in trading. But, one should keep in mind that in popular
trend-following methods:

1) profits are usually 2-3 times larger than losses

2) series of small losses or break-even trades are typically
interspersed with large profits

So martingale methods in our opinion deserve a serious study.

I found this to be very true.  Typically my trades have either a
series of small losses or more commonly break-even trades
interspersed with hugh gains which dwarfs these series of small
losses or break-even trades, but I use martingale method only very
rarely, i.e, only when the nature of the signal warrants it....

rgds, Pal

http://www.tsresearchgroup.com/en/articles/public_20020402010706.php

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> > Nice try ... As far as what trading system he used and whether or
> not
> > it was viable, how would I know.  As far as what MM techniques he
> > used, again how would I know except for the fact that it seems to
> say
> > one of two things, either his stuff doesn't work as demonstrated
in
> > his book or he didn't think well enough of it to use it as
opposed
> > using something else.  As far as your other reference goes, your
> > either part of that group in which case you should have
understood
> > the reply I made and it should have made some sense or you aren't
> in
> > which case you don't have a clue as to what you are referring to.
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2" <feierstein@xxxx>
wrote:
> > > "LOL, right ..."?  What simulation software did you use?  No
> > answer?
> > > I didn't think I'd get one.  You don't know what you're talking
> > about
> > > unless you've run extensive MCS on these methods with numerous
> > systems
> > > and compared them side by side.  I've tested Van Tharp's stuff
and
> > > would agree that it works.  But there's stuff in Jones' book
that
> > > produces better risk/reward curves.  BTW, what he did with his
own
> > > account (assuming what you say is true) is irrelevant.  How do
you
> > > *know* that he did it "using his own methods?"  Did he have a
> viable
> > > trading system to begin with? Did he follow it?  If so, which
> money
> > > management method from his book did he use and did he follow
> that?
> > > Your humble opinion, lol?  This from the guy who banned Tomasz
> from
> > > his group, lol!  Look Fred, if you've got nothing better to do
> than
> > > sit there and try to start a flame war, please do it with
someone
> > > else.  Because you simply don't know what you're talking about
> [...]
Martingale
> price.
> OB/OS
> > > 3BSMA