[amibroker] "He done blew up...real good"

Mark,

I looked through my emails for the last year and
came up with the following message.  After reading his book, I asked for
opinions from my research associates and here's a response from a large money
manager (who really trades hundreds of minis at a whack):

"I read "The Trading Game" last weekend, and I was NOT impressed.
First off, I find it remarkable that people can get so much attention
for the radical concept of position sizing.  I mean, are there that
many people out there who don't understand that you'll make more profits
(assuming a positive expectation) if you trade multiple contracts!?
Jones talks like scaling your size up is a huge
revelation.    But ignoring that, I think his Fixed
Ratio approach is bogus.  IMO his entire premise is flawed:  he
looks at the per-contract profit it takes to move from 1 to 2 contracts, and
he says that it should take the same per-contract profit to move from X to
X+1 contracts.  I.e. if you need $10k profit to move from 1 to 2
contracts, you should need $10k profit **per contract** to move from 100 to
101.  You'd need $1M total profit to increase by 1
contract.    I think this is flawed for 2 reasons:
first, it relies much too heavily on the size of the contract.  The
entire leverage structure he computes would be totally different for, say,
$250 SP's vs. $500 SP's.  But the big flaw is his use of additive
growth instead of percentage growth.  Moving from 1 contract to 2 isn't
equivalent to moving from 100 to 101; it's like moving from 100 to
200!  I think simple fixed-fractional approaches handle the position
sizing much more logically.    What really honks me
off, though, is the way he cooks the books to make his approach look
good.  Fundamentally what he's doing is using very high leverage when
the account is small, and backing off as the account gets big.  This
has the advantage that it gets the small account off the ground &
running quickly.  But it also exposes you to a lot more risk early
on.  He uses all kinds of examples to show how the FR approach can take
a $X per contract loss with a much lower drawdown than FF -- but he
constructs his examples so that drawdown happens AFTER he's scaled back the
leverage.  He conveniently neglects to mention that the FR approach
would BANKRUPT you if that same per-contract loss happened early on with
higher leverage.    Add to that a host of logical and
math errors, and I was SERIOUSLY underwhelmed.    My
advice would be to use a basic Fixed Fractional approach.  Decide what
leverage works for you, taking into account your risk tolerance, the Optimal
F of your system (make sure you trade far UNDER the "optimal" F value), etc,
and just risk a constant percentage on each trade.  As your account
grows, you may decide to back off on the leverage a bit.  You can do
all that without the Fixed Ratio complexities."
"Extensively tested"?  Isn't that what Ryan
did with his own account when he blew it up?  Oh, maybe he sell books on
fixed ratio and then goes out and trades with a different style.  Either
way, with or without FR, he did "blow up".  And as John Candy used to say
on SCTV:  "Wow, he blew up real good."

Take care,

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE