[amibroker] Re: solving the prediction problem

Hi,

I agree.  You are a good teacher.  I'm afraid I don't have anything
much to add.

I was wondering whether you are somebody else use the smoothed BBB
and Zig-Zag trend systems in the Amibroker members only section.  It
seems I can't discuss any information about it here in this forum,
but can I ask how useful it had been for users? Thanks.

Regards,

Pal

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> Pal, you said earlier "...Statistics is meaningless in the context
that you can come out with statistics to disprove anything." So, I
misspoke. You were talking about disproof, whereas I was speaking of
proof (mathematically, one is 1 minus the other). But no matter. Let
me go one step further. Suppose the null hypothesis is A is not equal
to B. Put in terms of trading parlance, the null hypothesis might be
when the short MA of C crosses above the long MA of C, prices will
not rise. In order to disprove that hypothesis, I have to try to
prove that A = B (the alternate hypothesis); in other words, I have
to prove that when the short MA of C crosses above the long MA of C,
the price rises. So, I design an experiment (a backtest) to get as
much information to prove that A = B. If I obtain sufficient data to
show that A is not equal to B (i.e., the MA cross does not signal a
price rise) and can say so at the 95 or 99% confidence level, I think
I have disproven in a statistical sense the null hypothesis at some
level of confidence PROVIDED my sampling was representative and the
sampling size was sufficiently high to generate the proper amount of
statistical confidence. I will have demonstrated my point with an
error of 5% or 1%. And of course, I must first establish that my
dataset is normally distributed, otherwise my 'proof' is faulty. This
analysis does not by any means constitute proof with certainty, which
is impossible because one cannot sample the entire uinverse of data
available. It only establishes a degree of confidence based on a
sampling of a limited population of price data and the inherent error
associated with it. Sample size is critical to any statistical
analysis. The higher, the better. That's all statistics does. You may
still act on the MA cross by buying, but you have been warned that if
you do, the probability is very high that you will lose. There are
all kinds of other things I haven't even touched on, such as sampling
from a population of correlated stocks, or sampling only during a
bull market, etc., etc. Nothing is certain in the game of prediction.

> Al Venosa

I'm
>   just stating a fact). If you use inferential, parametric
statistics
>   on data that are not even close to being normally distributed,
you
>   can prove anything. But your proof is flawed because you have
misused
>   a basic underlying assumption that the particular statistical
test
>   was designed to indicate. You speak of proof being only in the
realm
>   of physical law or mathematical theorem. Perhaps true if you
speak of
>   absolute proof. However, in statistics, all 'proofs' are based on
>   measurement error, and there is nothing on this planet that can
be
>   measured error-free (except mathematical principles such as the
area
>   of a triangle or the Pythagorean Theorem). In trading, the errors
are
>   huge, sometimes infinite, because price behavior is so variable;
so
>   in order to try to 'prove' anything statistically, you have to
>   minimize that error as much as possible. How does one minimize
error
>   when prices are determined by such a huge universe of human
beings,
>   all with different outlooks on future behavior and all biased to
some
>   degree by their own non-objective views? You can't. You can only
>   generate probabilities and confidence based on those
probabilities,
<palsanand@xxxx>
>   >   wrote:
>   >   >
>   >   > > Like I said earlier, Statistics is meaningless in the
context
>   >   that
>   >   > > you can come out with statistics to disprove anything.
Proof
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>   Service.
>   >
>   >
>   >   ---