From: Dave Merrill dmerrill@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:27:03 -0400
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Invitation -- suggest your favorite objective
function

I understand what you're saying, but doesn't it seem like there might well
be some useful numerical measure of the flatness of the 3D graph, for
example?

dave
  I think there is a human component that has to be included in system
development. I am a believer in mechanical systems from the standpoint of
trade execution. However, when you are trying to develop your mechanical
system and to decide how best to implement it, you have to make some
judgments that I don't think can easily be automated into a single,
multidimensional matrix out of which comes a simple, black and white answer.
There will always be shades of gray that require human judgment. That's why
I sent along that figure (just an example). You have to develop your own
decision rules that are right for your personality, and those require you to
examine a multitude of objective functions to aid in your decision. There is
a software package called Powerkit, wherein the developer has included 3
canned systems that the user can tweak with any combination of parameter
values he wants to optimize. When the optimization is done, a 3-dimensional
graph automatically appears showing how the parameters affect profits in
3-dimensional space. You pick your parameter values based on the flatness of
the 3-D graph, which is a measure of robustness. TJ once told me that he
plans to develop a similar 3-D graphical capability that will blow Powerkit
out of the water. That is probably on the lower part of his priority list
right now, but it will come eventually.

  Is that a sufficiently vague answer to your question? :-))

  Al Venosa