RE: [amibroker] Invitation -- suggest your favorite objective function

<SPAN
class=725272411-22102003>I understand what you're saying, but doesn't it seem
like there might well be some useful numerical measure of the flatness of
the 3D graph, for example?
<SPAN
class=725272411-22102003>
<SPAN
class=725272411-22102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE

  I think there is a human component that has to be included in system
  development. I am a believer in mechanical systems from the standpoint of
  trade execution. However, when you are trying to develop your mechanical
  system and to decide how best to implement it, you have to make some judgments
  that I don't think can easily be automated into a single, multidimensional
  matrix out of which comes a simple, black and white answer. There will always
  be shades of gray that require human judgment. That's why I sent along that
  figure (just an example). You have to develop your own decision rules that are
  right for your personality, and those require you to examine a multitude of
  objective functions to aid in your decision. There is a software package
  called Powerkit, wherein the developer has included 3 canned systems that the
  user can tweak with any combination of parameter values he wants to optimize.
  When the optimization is done, a 3-dimensional graph automatically appears
  showing how the parameters affect profits in 3-dimensional space. You pick
  your parameter values based on the flatness of the 3-D graph, which is a
  measure of robustness. TJ once told me that he plans to develop a
  similar 3-D graphical capability that will blow Powerkit out of the
  water. That is probably on the lower part of his priority list right now, but
  it will come eventually.

  Is that a sufficiently vague answer to your question? :-))

  Al Venosa
  <BLOCKQUOTE