From: palsanand [mailto:palsanand@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 20 October 2003 8:25 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Hi,

Many recent contributions suggest using discipline, commitment,
trading skills, etc., rather than 100% mechanical systems. I think
this will cause more losers than winners.

The reason computer trading systems exist is to capture good ideas
and determine the best way to apply them. Basically, any idea one
uses can be automated and tested. Various filters and stops can often
improve a system's 10-yr performance even after it's released.
Otherwise, one may lose their skill or luck in selecting trades.

In Jack Schwager books (The Market Wizards and the The New Market
Wizards), the author writes about Ed Seykota, who multiplied his
clients accounts by 2500 times (250,000%) in about 10 years.  Then
there's Michael Marcus, who parlayed a $30,000 initial stake into $80
Million.  Another famous trader not included in Jack Schwager's books
is Larry Williams, who won a national trading competition in 1987 by
multiplying $10,000 into over $1,000,000 in 1 year.  Each of these
traders says they use mechanical systems, some almost exclusively.

Most traders are very reluctant to reveal real-time trading income
particulars including myself for obvious reasons...

Regards,

Pal

5
> years
> > ago I used to always wait until the first have hour of trading
had
> passed
> > before placing a trade to avoid the built up demand already in
the
> pipe. Now
> > if I wait more than 10 minutes the train is out of the station.
> Perhaps it
> > is just a forest/trees scenario but I think there are fundamental
> > differences in the way the markets react today versus the recent
> past......
> >

> > Regards,
> > Jayson
Optimization -
> [...]
> best
> > evidence
> > > we have. does this seem like a reasonable starting point? what
> > alternative
> > > is there?
> > >
> > > if that's true, why is it better to do it only once? what
> > justification is
> > > there for picking one examination period over another? clearly
> > market
> > > behavior will change continually after that. don't we need a
way
> of
> > working
> > > that looks at what's been happening and evolves our response?
> > >
> > > sounds like we examine performance up to some point and adjust,
> > trade with
> > > the best-choice system and parameters for a while, then examine
> and
> > adjust
> > > again later. make sense? what alternative is there?
> > >
> > > so then, how often do we re-examine performance history? to put
it
> > > differently, how long do we ignore any changes in market
dynamics
> > that may
> > > or may not have occurred? why would intermittently refusing to
> look
> > and
> > > respond improve system performance or reliability?
> > >
> > > if that needs to be done, why not have the system itself do it,
as
> > part of
> > > its inherent operation? why is it better for us as an outside
> agent
> > > periodically run some separate tests, reach into the internals
of
> > the
> > > system, and change stuff?
> > >
> > > or should we just continue with the system and parameters we
> choose
> > at the
> > > beginning? are they somehow more valid than what we'd choose
> later,
> > using
> > > the same backtesting methods, but on a different date range of
> data?
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > I realize that even if it seems to make sense logically, this
all
> > complete
> > > crock if no systems put together like this even backtest well,
> > never mind
> > > forward testing.
> > >
> > > but every time I think about abandoning this line of research,
it
> > seems like
> > > the first thing I'd want to do with a new system would be (let
me
> > guess),
> > > test and possibly adjust it using data up to some date, then run
> > with it for
> > > a while after that and see if equity growth is good. if it is,
I'd
> > want to
> > > lather, rinse and repeat with other in and out of sample data,
> > make sure
> > > that wasn't coincidence.
> > >
> > > sounds way too familiar to be a completely different animal.
> > >
> > > dave
> > >   From: Fred [mailto:fctonetti@x...]
> > >
> > >   That IS what I was trying to say.  I suspect because equity
feed
> > back
> > >   is like looking in a rear view mirror, great for letting us
know
> > >   where we were and how we could have adjusted the past to make
it
> > >   better, but that's about it.
> >

> >       Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >

> > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx