RE: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>forest (:-)
<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>
<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>what kinds of tradable market behavior should we
be looking at/for that transcend the "short-sighted view of history" we
*shouldn't* be looking for?
<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>
<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>dave
<SPAN
class=870115022-19102003>
<BLOCKQUOTE
>This
  makes me want to ask what your longest possible time frame is ?--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
  wrote:> well yes, you're right, the same stuff is always happening.
  prices go up,> prices go down, and they always have.>
  > but that's not useful info to trade on. what we care about is
  trends of some> kind that can be predicted/hoped to continue or
  reverse in some particular> time frame. that's knowledge we can
  profit from. and those trends come and> go constantly, on every
  time scale. these shorter-term moves are what we> trade.>
  > here's my question I guess: if I only see behavior that never
  changes over> the longest possible time frame, what do I see that I
  can use?> > dave>   There are a lot of
  questions and provacative statements in your post,>
  only one of which from my perspective needs an answer/response.>
  >   Market behavior will continually change after that
  ...> >   Change ? from what ? into what ? I guess this
  is the part I don't>   follow.  To me there is nothing
  new in market behavior now that>   didn't exist last month,
  last year, last decade, last century, but>   clearly those
  that take a short sighted view of history and the>   market
  action that made up that history will clearly never see
  it.>   It's a forest and trees thing