  >From:
  b519b
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 2:34
  PM
  Subject: [amibroker] N100 membership
  Puzzle (was Walk Forward Optimization)
  Al,Before you invest a lot of time on a walk
  forward study of trading the N100 stocks, you need to decide how you will
  determine which stocks were in the N100 for past years. Otherwise, you may
  be wasting your time, or worse yet, get promising results that will not
  be repeatable in the future -- because they were never possible in the
  past -- they just appeared to be possible due to the bais caused by using
  a single N100 membership list as it stands today.Why does is the
  present list not good enough? Stocks that were once in the N100 but may
  not be included in today's list (likely to to sub standard performance
  recently). Also, stocks that where around in 1995 but were not included in
  the N100 because they were too small, may have outperformed some stocks
  that were in the N100 and thus are now included in today's list. They will
  appear to have been N100 members in 1995 but were not so. Back testing
  using today's N100 list (or S&P500 list, etc) introduces a "cystal
  ball" effect. I have often thought of doing what you are proposing but
  I have not figured out an time effective method to get the list.
  Do you have one?I do have method but it is too time consuming.
  The N100 has an ETF (the QQQ) and the trustees of that ETF have to file
  papers with the SEC. Those papers include a list of all the stocks
  included in the ETF. So one just has to pull the QQQ filings for each year
  (or quarter, I forget which) and compile a list of changes.
  Unfortunately the list does not include their ticker symbols. So there
  would be additional paper work spent looking up tickers. Also on will need
  to get price data on stocks that have gone inactive. Unfortunately,
  the QQQ only covers the most recent 4 years of the N100's history, so this
  method will not work back to 1993. Alternatively an ETF like the SPY has a
  much longer history. However, its membership size of 500 would be a much
  large task to set up. If one had data on N100 membeship, then one
  could write a small program that would put a marker into the OI field for
  these stocks to indicate the dates it was and was not a member of the
  N100. A single AFL line of code could test for that marker and thus enable
  accurate backtesting.Does any one have a better way to handle the
  challenge of handling past membership of indexes?b--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "advenosa@xxxx" <advenosa@xxxx>
  wrote:> Thanks, Dimitris, for the walk-forward > link. I
  must have missed this. > > Regarding your second point, will
  that > method work in portfolio backtester> for a basket of
  stocks rather than for > one stock? For example, suppose I>
  wished to optimize my system on the > N100 stocks at each 2-year
  period> beginning in, say, 1993. I select the > top 7 stocks in
  that period and> optimize. I then do a walk-forward test > on
  those 7 stocks for 1995 (the> 1-year OOS period after the first IS
  > opt period) and save the composite> equity curve developed for
  trading > those 7 top stocks in 1995. Then, in the> next
  optimization period, 1994-1995, > I repeated the process, this
  time> getting 7 different top stocks. I > generate an OOS equity
  curve for those 7> stocks for the period 1996. I keep >
  repeating this, saving each 1-year OOS> composite equity, then at the
  end > concatenating all those OOS composite> equity curves
  together. Can this be > done with the code you developed? >
  > TIA> > Al Venosa>
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<BLOCKQUOTE
><FONT
  face="Courier New">---Outgoing mail is certified Virus
  Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.525
  / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date:
10/9/2003