[amibroker] Re: Will systems degrade? (was Optimization)

Dave,

Aren't you mixing the two -- backtest and optimization? The backtest
is of course, absolutely necessary. Probably same goes for a little
bit of optimization. But isn't auto-optimization every day the other
end of the spectrum? While backtest in itself is a form of
optimization (with just one set of parameters), auto-optimization
every day comes pretty close to serious curve-fitting, IMHO.

In one of your other posts, I think you said that you got the best
results when you optimized over entire dataset. Assuming you meant
that when you used last X number of days/months as a forward-test OOS
period, I wasn't too surprised to hear that. Why wouldn't you use all
the past data to find optimum parameters if you're going to try to
auto-optimize? Of course, you could then try to find the optimum
period to optimize over, but that too again might be curve-fitting.

I have a question for proponents of back and forward testing. Assume
that we're dealing with 3 years of data, where we use first two years
to optimize and the third year as forward testing period. Further
assume that you get following results -

1. When optimized over first two years, both of those years show
profit, but the third year shows loss.
2. When optimized over all three years, all three years show profit,
although less than that showed by first test in first two years.

Which set of parameters would you use going forward in the fourth
year? Or would you rather just dump the strategy? I personally think
that back and forward testing makes sense ONLY if you do the latter,
but I'm not sure that's what happens. But then... I could be wrong.

Jitu

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> I'm willing to do the work I think, have been trying to already, to
the best
> of my limited understanding.
>
> but it's the concept of what to look for and how that puzzles me.
sometimes

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511