RE: [amibroker] Profit Stops

Thank
you Howard, for your good comments. I tend to agree with you that any type of
stops hurt performance, except perhaps in the case of short-term systems
that trade every few days. In that case the profit stop is partially based of
volatility, not only trade profits. If you can manage to work in that area
profit stops can enhance your system.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thanks
again and best regards,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Herman.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Howard Bandy
  [mailto:howardbandy@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 11:01
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCc:
  howardbandy@xxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker] Profit
  Stops

  <SPAN
  >Hi Herman
  &#8211;
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >In my experience and
  research, in general, stops of any kind hurt system performance.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I assume that by
  &#8220;profit stops&#8221;, you mean limit orders placed above a long position (or below a
  short position) to exit the trade at a profit.  I&#8217;ve already mentioned to
  Tomasz that it would be nice for AmiBroker to use the terminology &#8220;limit
  order&#8221; and include some afl procedures to allow easier manipulation of them,
  rather than include limit orders in with stop orders and the ApplyStop
  procedure.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >(For readers who are
  fuzzy on the difference, a limit order can be thought of as being executed
  when the trading price is &#8220;better than&#8221; the limit price.  A stop order is
  executed when the trading price is &#8220;worse than&#8221; the stop price.  Limit
  orders are executed with little or no slippage; stop orders often have large
  slippage.  An open long position might have two open orders associated
  with it &#8211; a limit order above the market to take profit, and a stop order
  below the market to prevent loss.)
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >When a trading system
  is designed so that the profit target is hit regularly &#8211; say 20 percent or
  more of the exits are made through the profit target &#8211; then the use of profit
  targets can smooth out an equity curve.  When a trading system includes
  profit targets, but they are seldom hit, the profit target has probably been
  inappropriately curve-fit.  It helps me to think of the profit target as
  a system in itself, consider the number of parameters it represents, the
  number of trades associated with it, and then evaluate the associated metrics
  and statistics.  These conditions are most easily met when the system
  trades frequently.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Profit<FONT
  face=Arial size=2> targets
  are used by some traders to make a partial exit from a trade, say at a point
  where the profit taken from the portion exited pays the commission and
  slippage of the entire trade.  The remainder of the position is exited
  via some other order &#8211; maybe another profit target or maybe by a system
  reversal signal.  Several of us have already asked Tomasz to expand
  AmiBroker so that we can add to existing trades and make partial exits from
  trades.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Similar evaluations
  of exits made through stop orders should be made if the system uses any stop
  orders.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Howard
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <DIV

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Herman van
  den Bergen [mailto:psytek@xxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 5:16
  AMTo: AmiBroker<SPAN
  >Subject: [amibroker] Profit
  Stops
  <SPAN

  <FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2>OK, I like profit Stops, they seem to
  improve on all of my short-term<FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2><FONT
  face="Courier New">systems.<FONT
  face="Courier New">The question is how to determine the best stop levels.
  PStops don't getactivated to
  often, compared to the number of trades, and optimizing for
  apercentage PStop tends to
  capitalize on one or two rare/lucky price moves.<FONT
  face="Courier New">So really the optimized percentage is not correct for the
  future. It isdifficult to
  optimize.A lot has been
  written on Maximum Loss Stops but not so much on how to
  setprofit
  stops.has anybody seen any
  discussion on this, or any formulas?<FONT
  face="Courier New">thanks,<FONT
  face="Courier New">herman.

      <TD

      bgColor=#ffffcc>
        <FONT
        face="Times New Roman" color=#003399 size=2><SPAN
        >Send BUG
        REPORTS to <SPAN
        >bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
        face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN
        ><FONT
        face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
        suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
        face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
        face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
        <SPAN
        >amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
        face="Courier New" size=2>
        <SPAN
        ><FONT
        face="Courier New">(Web page: <A
        href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
        face="Courier New">--------------------------------------------<FONT
        face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
        <SPAN
        >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
        href="">Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

        Send
        AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web