[amibroker] Re: FW: Optimize/OverOptimize

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> let me throw the discussion of optimization in another direction
for a sec,
> into equity feedback,

I´m gonna try this via the inspection points. How does it looks like?
Any specific idea for the inspection frequency [if steady...] or the
inspection frequency function ?
Dimitris Tsokakis

something I've been looking at a lot lately.

> just to be clear what I mean, the idea is to pick your trades from
among the
> stocks (or whatever) that have historically done the best at that
same
> method, or something as similar to it as possible. for example
(don't put
> money on this!), say you went long or short when MACD(13, 21)
crossed zero,
> but picked stocks with the most strongly positive returns to date
by that
> method.
>
> in a sense, this amounts to automatic optimization, by the most
seemingly
> relevant means possible: grading performance under the same system.
another
> way to look at it is that it automatically selects a universe of
stocks to
> run on, including only the ones that perform best with the strategy
used.

> given those general mechanics, you'd think this would produce good
results
> frequently, with a variety of common indicators, over many time
frames and
> universes of equities. my experience is that this isn't the case.
on the
> contrary, for example, it's hard to find system that are juicily
profitable
> from '92 to present on the NASDAQ 100. works better on the whole
NASDAQ, I

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511