[amibroker] Re: Q from Holygrail Board

Hi Tomasz,

I am quiet confused, using the sample on N100 list , last 30 days I
get:

04-Sep-03 Enter Short MSFT 28.43 price *  124.708 Shares  = 3545.44
while my equity is 10,000. It is more then 2% of equity. Please
advise.

Thanks,
Gedi

EnableRotationalTrading();
SOV1=21;

BBandWid = 2;
UBBand = BBandTop(Close, SOV1, BBandWid);
LBBand = BBandBot(Close, SOV1, BBandWid);
rScore = 50 - 100 * (Close - LBBand) / (UBBand - LBBand) ;

PositionSize =  -2 * BuyPrice/(2*ATR(10));
PositionScore = rScore;

> David,
>
> With the release 4.43 you can do that.
>
> PositionSize variable allows you to control the position sizing on
PORFOLIO level.
> Negative values assigned to it specify the PERCENTAGE of PORTFOLIO
equity to be invested.

> So for example, if you want to have no more than 5 simultaneously
positions open
> specify
> SetOption("MaxOpenPositions", 5 );
> PositionSize = -100/5; // 20% of PORFOLIO equity
>
> You may also adjust the position size depending on risk
(volatility) of given stock:
> PositionSize =  -2 * BuyPrice/(2*ATR(10));
>
> That way you are investing investing 2% of PORTFOLIO equity in the
trade adjusted
> by BuyPrice/2*ATR factor (the higher volatility the less part of
portfolio funds you would put into trade)

> As for second part of your question, you can also use ranking
criteria to specify which trades
> are preferred if there are too many candidates than allowed
positons or available cash:
> An easy example from the read me:
>
> PositionScore = 100 - RSI();
>
> will tell backtester to prefer stocks with low RSI (high position
score).
> AmiBroker would enter trades starting from trade of the highest
score until it reaches maximum open pos limit
> or no more cash is available.
>
> More info is provided in the read me file.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

backtesting
>   is not generating the trades, it's knowing which trades to take
and
>   how much money to put into each one.  Many trading systems suffer
>   from a condition known as clustering, where many of the trades
>   happen in just a few days.  These systems look great
statistically,
>   but trade unprofitably because most of the time you are not
trading
>   at all (no trades), and when you do get trades you get too many
>   to take.  So, what would really be helpful is if you can specify
>   equity positions in each trade, specify the limits of equity in
all
>   positions (so it's realistic), and then define some "tie breaker"
>   ranking criteria if there are too many trades to determine which
>   ones you enter.  Anything you can find out relative to these
>   questions would be helpful.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   David
>

>   ---