Re: [amibroker] *OFF TOPIC* Position Sizing at GetFolio.com

Trading say twenty stocks  or one hundred stocks does not protect you from the overall market risk (systematic risk).  But trading twenty stocks does protect you from unsystematic risk.  (eg.  the company cooked the books and the story broke over night, the stock gaps down from a close of $98 to an open of 90 cents.)  In this case, you have essentially lost only about 5% of your portfolio (1/20) if you diversified over 20 stocks.  If you bought only one stock, like a friend of mine did a few years ago,  options actually on Oxford Health a few days from when its story broke......  well he is still working for living, because he really did bet his retirement.  It's obvious that betting everything on one stock is stupid, but what is the right number?  I'm comfortable with twenty and can sleep at night, even when leveraged.  If you trade long enough, you will get bit hard by one of your stocks, somewhere, sometime, when you least expect it.  Been there, done that.

I agree that in general, most stocks move in the same direction as the market, so that owning a hundred stocks or even 10 won't protect you from market risk.  You would have to diversify into something like pork bellies or cotton, to have a truly uncorrelated investments.  But you better really measure the correlation yourself.  Mutual funds are similar.  Why have three mutual funds that are almost perfectly correlated?

Kevin Campbell