[amibroker] Re: OT: The Markets - Am I "out to lunch"

Yuki, thank you for your thoughts. I agree whole heartedly with trade
with the trend. I am not short, I am out for a breather (I think I
need it).

My trades last 2-15 days approx, sometimes as long as a month. I do
not trade "always in" I trade long-out-pause-long (or short).

On this trading time frame, I believe it is time to sit back and
watch for clues to future direction. Just wanted to "poll" the board
to see if others were getting the same signals.

Regards
Jim

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
<serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
> Yuki,
>
> Well put.  In these time as all times, I think of Stanley
Druckenmiller's quote from "Market Wizards" :

> "When you have tremendous conviction on a trade, you have to go for
the jugular.  It takes courage to be a pig".

> [...]
>
> Normally would not touch this thread with a 10-foot pole <g> but
> tomorrow is a public holiday in Japan, so here goes:
>
> What I see in the S&P:
>
> It has gone nowhere since 6-17.  Absolutely nowhere.  So, it's
> already "flat", and has been flat for three full months.  Everything
> right now is fully priced in, and there is a broad general agreement
> about equity values right now.  It's going nowhere until something
> changes that.
>
> What I see in the DOW:
>
> About the same as the S&P, just a hair better, but not much.  But
> then the DOW is so narrow anyway.
>
> What I see in the Naz Comp:
>
> Gee, we are up nearly 12 percent here in the past 3 months -- quite
> different story.
>
> Now . . . Are you out to lunch?  ^^_^^
>
> Depends on so much that is personal to you -- how you trade, what
> your time frames are, etc., etc., etc.  There just is no simple
> answer.
>
> However, in a market like this, there is great danger stepping 100
> percent out until stepping 100 percent out is the *proven* thing to
> do. Stepping out is how you miss the home runs.  Things suddenly
> lurch higher while you are out, and you simply never find a price
you
> are comfortable re-entering at. Gone. Gone. Gone.  I say this from
> years and years of experience, some of it very painful in this exact
> regard. "Protecting substantial profits" costs additional
substantial
> profits, time and time again. In order to hit home runs, you have to
> be willing to risk a substantial portion of substantial profits.
> There is no other way, because they all head-fake and jive you out
if
> you play it too tight.
>
> Now, I am inclined to think that both the US and Japan have seen
most
> of the excitement for this year already.  But, until this is
> *proven*, and it absolutely is NOT yet proven in my book, if you are
> sitting on great positions (positions with substantial profits) the
> thing to do is hold them. Eventually, you are going to take a nick
> when it becomes apparent that getting out is the thing to do.  That
> nick may come next week, but it also may come next spring, from
> substantially higher levels.  There is no way to know, and "talking
> heads" would be the absolute last to know.  (I try and tune this
> stuff *completely* out, as I find listening to it gives me a desire
> to anticipate rather than flow with, and I find this is usually very
> expensive.)
>
> But one should NOT anticipate in the direction *against* the trend,
> which is what you are doing by going to all cash right now.  If you
> must anticipate, anticipate *only* in the direction of the trend
> (anticipate a resumption of trend after a short breakdown).  This
> puts the odds in your favor I think.  At least, hedge yourself.
Going
> to *all* cash right now is quite a gamble against the trend.
> Anticipating the end of an up trend is exactly the opposite side of
> the coin as bottom-picking, and is just as expensive, albeit usually
> only in lost opportunity (assuming you're not crazy enough to back
> your bet with a short) rather than lost capital (going long at a
> "bottom").
>
> As Jesse said, (I paraphrase) "The money in stocks is made mostly in
> the sitting, not in the doing.  Most men are very good at the doing,
> but not very good at the sitting."  I doubt truer words about the
> market were ever spoken or written.
>
> My own experience this year:
>
> I caught the early trend in May and June, and made a year in 6
weeks.
> I got out in mid July on seasonal intuition, knowing our O-bon
> holiday season would soon be upon us, and trading volume would dry
up
> and long positions would be risky to hold.  I would come back in
late
> August or early September, probably.
>
> First day of the O-bon high holiday period was 8-11.  The Nikkei
> lurched suddenly higher out of a pull back, but on very weak volume.
> Very light.  But price was very strong.  Yuki wasn't about to be
> suckered back in by that volume though.  Not during O-bon week.
^^_^^

> But volume and price just continued to make stronger and stronger
> daily moves throughout that "vacation week",(something I've never
> seen before during O-bon, but which is really no excuse) and I just
> doubted it, and watched it. By the end of the week we were up where
> I'd bailed, maybe a touch higher, and I hesitated once more.  Now we
> are 7-9 percent higher, and I'm sitting on the sidelines stuck just
> running my short term trades, hoping for a major tradable pullback.
> could have made 2 year's profit since May, if I'd just sat tight.
And
> I would have had to sit tight from 10,000 on the Nikkei to about
> 9,200. But we are now at about 10,700.  (I even had my price levels
> for going back in, as well as time frame; I was going back in around
> late August, or around 8,800 basis the Nikkei.  Ha, ha, ha, Yuki.
It
> just never got down there, and it took off when it seasonally simply
> could NOT take off.)
>
> I guess if I could draw any conclusion about this, and about human
> nature, it would be that even someone who has been trading 30 years
> (me) has trouble doing the right thing.  Even someone who knows
> better.  So how easy, how utterly easy, it is to do the wrong thing.
> So we must somehow discipline ourselves to try only those things in
> which the odds favor us.  The odds favor trend resumption . . .
every
> time.  Eventually, trends all fail.  But the odds are what we are
> interested in, and where the money is.
>
> Locking in *some* profit is usually a good idea.  Going *all* to
cash
> is pretty risky when it is clearly betting against a fairly well
> established trend. The earlier you got in, and the
more "substantial"
> your profits are, the greater the risk of getting out without a very
> very clear sign that this is what you *need* to do.  You will feel
> very uncomfortable getting back in again at prices "substantially"
> higher than what you paid a few months ago.  This is human nature,
> and very very hard to fight.  You can say you will fight it, but
when
> it comes time to place the order, what usually happens is you
> hesitate, then don't, or you go in with a very small position
because
> of the perceived higher risk.
>
> These old saws about the market always amuse me.  One of them is
> 'bears make money, bulls make money, and pigs get slaughtered'.  So
> true.  But when exactly is one a 'pig'?  When one tries to ride a
> trend into irrational exuberance and beyond, never taking a cent off
> the table? Sure. But maybe one is also a 'pig' when one tries to
> preserve 100 percent of one's "substantial" profits in a rising
> market.  That is simply a different form of "piggishness", and you
> can get slaughtered (at least psychologically) trying to do that,
> too.
>
> Yuki (do what I say, not what I do) ^^_^^
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service.