Re: [amibroker] Yahoo Data

Brian,

Speaking from my experience with both ESignal and Yahoo via AmiQuote, I would be very cautious about trusting the consistency of downloads from either ESignal or Yahoo.

Casting off the download time issues for a moment the bigger issue is, during the course of any given download, AmiQuote will not be able to download data for randomly selected stocks.  However, you would never know that the download didn't happen for a given stock because Amiquote will not give an error message.  I even tried downloading a week at a time on a rolling basis to plug the holes, but all I received in return were random week gaps that would appear in my US Stocks database.

So, you'll be happy as a clam thinking you are getting all your data each day when in reality data holes are appearing randomly in your database, and you'll never know unless you use the Database Purify tool.

Tomasz is aware of this problem, and from I understand it's not an AmiQuote issue as much as it is an issue with the Yahoo and ESignal servers.

As a friend wisely told me, you can either spend time trying to clean up your free data or you can plunk down $200 buy the data and spend the time developing a system that makes back your $200 in one trade.  I've taken his advice (finally), and I ordered a quotes plus subscription this week as a result.

Hope this helps,
GaryBrian Elijah <cadvantag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to replace QP as my data source. I am going to be getting fundamental data from aaii.com - and get their stock investor pro.

I want to use yahoo for all my amibroker data. My BIG problem is when I use yahoo for data it is VERY VERY slow to update each day.

How best to reduce this time for data. I have win xp with tons of ram and hard drive space. QP is quick but limiting on fundamental data and I don't want to have to pay for stock data twice if I don't have to. Maybe yahoo is not the best site to get stock quotes- maybe moneycentral, quote.com I have not tried these.

Any yahoo uses:  Can you comment on how long it takes you to grab the stock quotes each day?

What can be done to shorten this time?  I am going to reduce the stock ticker list but even that has not saved much time- maybe I am doing something wrong. My amiquote always starts with a date of 1899 or some weird year like that- maybe I have a out dated amiquote or a program fault...Not sure. I am running AB version 4.40.4 Real Time.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

BrianSend BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)--------------------------------------------Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Do you Yahoo!?