RE: [amibroker] Off topic: European union about to change the law concering software patents... the road to nowhere

If we look at history there is a little hope.  Back in the early days of
aviation the Wright Brothers got a broad patent on flying machines.
They used this patent to sue  every "violator" in the USA and did no
more development work.  This stifled progress in aviation in the US.
Finally Congress invalidated the Wright Brother's patent and normal
progress followed.  In the radio industry the manufacturers set up a
foundation to manage this problem. All manufacturers could freely use
the patents and paid the royalty fees to the foundation.

This overkill in computer software patents will only serve to stifle
progress. We might wind up with black-market in unpatented software.
During the prohibition period, small offshore islands were used as
friendly warehouse locations by bootleggers Perhaps software developers
will have to go to small friendly offshore places to sell their
software.

Regards

Lionel

concering software patents... the road to nowhere

Hello,

Soon any progress in software may be blocked by lawyers, read more on
this here:

http://www.ffii.org/

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko