[amibroker] Re: Zig is decieving?

Ron,
zig and its derivatives [peak/trough] are very important [and useful]
AFL functions.
The basic application is the possibility to draw automatic trendlines.
See for example
http://www.amibroker.com/library/detail.php?id=105
http://www.amibroker.com/library/detail.php?id=288
Could you imagine T/A charts without trendlines ?
One more note : I was drawing, once upon a time, manually trendlines.
When I began automated formulas, I was surprised to see that many of
my previous trendlines were psycologically drawn to serve my
perspectives for the market at this moment. When I was Long and,
especially when I could not sell the proper time, my eye and my hand
did not see the "bad" trendlines, showing a bearish breakout.
Now, the automated breakouts are there and, no matter if I agree or
not, they imply their own [severe] rules.
The game is real and, sometimes, it has no close relation to
our "perspectives".
I pay great respect to Price, Stochastic and RSI trendlines,they help
to avoid crucial mistakes.
[The CSCO support trendline was broken some bars ago, yesterday´s -6%
*was not* a surprise. I am sure I would still expect to break $20 and
go to $25, but... ]
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@xxxx> wrote:
> DT, thanks a lot for  a great expose of zig.  The more that I found
out about zig, the less I liked him.  Actually, I never did like him,
I just played with him once for a few minutes.   These recent posts
about him prompted me to glance at him again for a few minutes.   Ron

Their
>   horizon is limited by definitions.
>   This is why I wrote it is wrong to use *any* zig/peal/trough
function
>   in buy/sell orders. It is as absurd as to decide on Monday to
place a
>   buy order for the previous Wednesday. It is impossible and any
>   backtesting baring this idea will be simply wrong and
inapplicable.
>   If you dont like the nature of zig function, the solution is
simple :
>   Do not use it.
>   Just accept a function as is, it will never become more friendly,
>   even if I apply my charm.
>   Dimitris Tsokakis
>   PS As for the Santa Clause, he told me last year that he does not
>   exist [and never was]. His statement was cool, I had no reason to
>   doubt and I believed his word. In one way or another, he knows
better
>   the existence theory...
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > Is there anyway to do visual historical backtesting of zig in a
way
>   such that the zig code knows nothing at all about future events.
>   > I obviously do not know how AFL works with zig.  When I run a
scan
>   on all stocks, n last days, n=1, then it is only possible for zig
>   tell me what he knows based on the available historical data plus
the
>   EOD data that I just downloaded after the markets closed on the
very
>   day that I am running the scan.   Now later, when I scroll the
screen
>   back, various past dates will be showing on the extreme right
side of
>   the chart, along with various indicator values that were computed
>   using  the historical data stored on my hard drive.
Apparently,
<OzFalcon@xxxx>
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx