  >From:
  DIMITRIS
  TSOKAKIS
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 6:12
  PM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Zig is
  decieving?
  Ron,It would be better to understand how zig
  operates.[The same with other T/A functions : You should accept the
  definition and then use it if you like it. A 3-bar MA is the average of
  the last 3 Close values. It is the definition. It doesn t make sense to
  ask "why not another 4th bar, it was Tuesday and I want to include it
  !You may include a 4th day, but you will not have a 3-bar MA, you will
  have something else.]So, zig(H,10) will give a peak at point A when
  the prices will fall more than 10% fro point A price. This is by
  definition and nobody cheats the user. This 10% drop may occur 3 or 10 or
  50 bars after point A.If it happens, then an angle will appear at
  point A, no matter if it is 3 or 10 or 50 bars back.This is the way
  zig operates. The last leg is variable and it is stabilised when the 10%
  condition is fulfilled.Now, when you study the past history of QQQ, you
  see a peak on point A. You should understand [and accept]that this
  angle was placed at A some [or many] bars later.Zig, like the other
  functions, can not work the way we like. Their horizon is limited by
  definitions.This is why I wrote it is wrong to use *any* zig/peal/trough
  function in buy/sell orders. It is as absurd as to decide on Monday to
  place a buy order for the previous Wednesday. It is impossible and any
  backtesting baring this idea will be simply wrong and inapplicable.If
  you dont like the nature of zig function, the solution is simple : Do not
  use it.Just accept a function as is, it will never become more friendly,
  even if I apply my charm.Dimitris TsokakisPS As for the Santa
  Clause, he told me last year that he does not exist [and never was]. His
  statement was cool, I had no reason to doubt and I believed his word. In
  one way or another, he knows better the existence theory... --- In <A
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@x...>
  wrote:> Is there anyway to do visual historical backtesting of zig in a
  way such that the zig code knows nothing at all about future events.
  > I obviously do not know how AFL works with zig.  When I run a
  scan on all stocks, n last days, n=1, then it is only possible for zig to
  tell me what he knows based on the available historical data plus the
  EOD data that I just downloaded after the markets closed on the very
  day that I am running the scan.   Now later, when I scroll the
  screen back, various past dates will be showing on the extreme right side
  of the chart, along with various indicator values that were computed
  using  the historical data stored on my hard drive.
  Apparently, these historical zig angles that I am seeing when I look
  at  day 100 of the year are not the same zig angles that would have
  been computed on day 100 of the year if a scan had been run on day 100 of
  the year.  Why not?  Isn't AFL  looking at only the data
  that was available up to and including day 100 of the year.  In other
  words, if I scroll back to day 1 of the year, and then scroll foreword one
  day at time, why is this not  the very same accumulation of data that
  was stored on my hard drive when I downloaded the EOD data when I got
  home from work on day 100.  Why does zig want to cheat and look at
  the the data from day 100+ as I scroll foreword from day 1 of the
  year.  If zig is cheating under these conditions, then what is to
  stop EMA and RSI from also cheating.    What you now appear
  to be a implying about zig reminds me of how I felt when I was
  informed  that Santa Clause does not exist.   I have never
  forgiven my older brother for that revelation.   My nontech mind
  can't fathom why zig would tell a different story when told to go back and
  look at the exact same data a second time.  All revelations in
  layman's language will be appreciated.   Ron D
  ----- > From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS > To: <A
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
  Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 5:33 AM> Subject: [amibroker] Re:
  Revised MACDxPriceOSC (With Zig Filter)> > >
  Michael,> In your Buy/Sell conditions you use UTrend and
  DTrend.> This fact makes your rules unrealistic.> UTrend and
  DTrend are zig related conditions and their truth is known > some
  bars after the historical occurrence you see in the past bars.>
  Dimitris Tsokakis> --- In <A
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Michael.S.G." <OzFalcon@x...> >
  wrote:> > Working with Dennis's AFL previously posted using MACD x
  PriceOSC, > is a revision that also checks for current trend via
  zigzag funtion. > > Zig is Adjustable Via Parameters Dialog
  (CTRL-R). And Signals > likewise change while being Adjusted.>
  Feedback to the status of Zig is also given by Coloring of the >
  barstyle chart.> > //MACD POSC cross, By Dennis aka <A
  href="">theoldchartreader@x...> //With
  Zig Confirmaion Filter by OzFalcon@x...
  <MSG>.> > AdjZ = Param("Zig",10,0,15.0,.1);> ZAC =
  Zig( Close, AdjZ );> > UTrend = ZAC > Ref(ZAC, -1);>
  DTrend = ZAC < Ref(ZAC, -1);> > t1 = OscP( 3, 6 );>
  Cond1a= Cross (t1,MACD());> Cond1b= MACD()>-1 AND
  MACD()<0;> Cond1= Cond1a AND Cond1b;> Cond2 =
  MACD()>Signal()-.5;> Buy = Cond1 AND Cond2 AND UTrend;>
  Sell=Cross(0,t1) AND DTrend;> > Color = IIf(O > C,
  colorBlack, colorRed);> Plot( Close, "Price", color, styleCandle
  );> PlotForeign( GetBaseIndex(), GetBaseIndex(), colorLightGrey );
  > > PlotShapes( shapeDownArrow * Sell, colorRed );>
  PlotShapes( shapeUpArrow * Buy, colorGreen );> > ZColor =
  IIf(UTrend, colorAqua, colorYellow);> Plot( ZAC, "Zig", ZColor,
  3);> > /// Iterpretation> "Look at weekly chart first,if
  it is bullish,";> "then look at daily chart for a entry point";>
  "Use CTRL-R To adjust Zig Detail";>  > > >
  > > Send BUG REPORTS to <A
  href="">bugs@x...> Send SUGGESTIONS to <A
  href="">suggest@x...>
  Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or LexmarkPrinter at Myinks.com.
  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. <A
  href="">http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511<A
  href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/GHeqlB/TM---------------------------------------------------------------------~->Send
  BUG REPORTS to <A
  href="">bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  <A
  href="">suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post
  AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: <A
  href="">amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  group FAQ at: <A
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/