[amibroker] Help with PT (more)

BTW...
there are several others here who understand what's going on.   They
might not be as vocal as I am, but they are quietly using PT.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
intend to start sharing several of my scoring files and I'm hoping that others
do the same.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:46
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Random selection of stocksFred,I suspect that
  only you and Chuck REALLY understand the capabilitiesof PT.Would
  you be willing to act as a guide where PT is concerned? Thereason I ask is
  that I have been conditioned by multiple decades ofexperience (habit) of
  solving problems on my own. BUT I'd like to seePT in action from the eyes
  of the developer.This might require you to either take control or
  share control of theproject. At the very least, you will need to guide me
  in specifyingfiltering and scoring requirements.  I suspect that
  PTxxxx can be anintimidating obstacle for a non-technical user, and I am
  not qualifiedto take the lead on this. And you will probably need to
  excercise a'super-human' level of patience or flexability in dealing
  withconceptual issues.In addition to the above, I am sometimes
  'slow as Christmas' inprogressing to the next step of a project, which I
  guarentee willdrive you crazy. In other words, trying to get you
  and I coordinated on something willbe like trying to mix Oil and Water.
  And while not impossible, theodds are against this working.But if
  you are interested in making the effort, then so am I.Phsst---
  In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:>
  Phsst,> > Again ... I really am NOT pushing a product ... but
  this is what PT > was made for i.e. to filter or more appropriately
  SCORE and trade the > high scorers.> > Fred>
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Phsst" <phsst@xxxx>
  wrote:> > Hello Chuck,> > > > I think in the
  same terms that you expressed regarding using filters> > against a
  full blown database to narrow down selections. That > approach>
  > does not necessarily translate into 'holy grailism' as expressed by
  > Yuki.> > > > But from Yuki's post about trading
  only 5 stocks, I concluded that> > there surely must be a great
  potential benefit from being so> > intimately familiar with a small
  number of highly liquid stocks that> > you can see their charts in
  your sleep. You should be able to > develop> > superior
  instincts regarding support/resistance/volume > relationships.>
  > So I'd like to take a shot at that approach too. I don't have to>
  > abondon one trading system for another. What is the old saying...>
  > variety is the spice of life.> > > > So now I'll
  spend a few days filtering down to my target basket, and> > then
  start applying some rules to trading them to see what shakes.> >
  > > A new quest...> > > > Phsst> >
  > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher">
  > <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> > > I wasn't going to
  reply to Yuki's comment about "looking for > things that> >
  > work across a random selection of stocks is a waste of time", but>
  > Fred has> > > sort of got me motivated to do so.>
  prefer to do the> > filtering> > > process (that she is
  manually doing) within my trading system.  > > Yuki,
  what> > > makes you select certain stocks for
  trading?   You don't need to> > answer that> >
  > question, but I feel that whatever anyone does to create a >
  watchlist can> > > become part of the AFL code.   By
  doing it as part of the trading> > system,> > > stocks
  will come into and go out of the list, without my> > intervention,
  for> > > backtesting and for trading forward.   When a
  stock no longer has > that> > > "look" that I like, it
  will just disappear from my list of orders > to> >
  place.> > > > > > Just my three cents.> >

  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]> > > Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:20
  AM> > > To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Subject:
  [amibroker] Re: Please send unmarked bills, in a brown> > paper
  bag,> > > to: ...> > > > > > >
  > >   I'm not sure I agree with the statement that "looking
  for > things that> > >   work across a random
  selection of stocks is a waste of time".> > > > >
  >   Part of the process that makes this viable i.e. reduces
  random> > >   selection to specific tradables can of
  course be a > scoring/ranking> > >
  ranking.> > > > > >   When properly
  applied this too works.> > > > > >   ---
  In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxxx> >
  wrote:> > >   > Hi Fred,> >
  2003, 12:16:45 PM, you wrote:> > >   >> >
  >   > F> If we had a system and it was only good enough to
  trade > the S&P> > >   > F> wouldn't
  that be sufficient whether that was in the form of> >
  >   > F> EMini's,  Options, ETF's or what have you
  ?  Does any > particular> > >   > F>
  system have to  work across a basket of whatever to be > viable
  ?> > >   >> > >   >
  Absolutely, it is not necessary.  I am making hay, lots of >
  hay,> > >   > trading the same 5 stocks over and
  over according to a > system.  They> > >
  > have made money with this system as far back as I can test.
  > They> > >   > continue to make money.
  Other stocks break even with the > system.  I> >
  >   > don't know why.  I don't really care either.
  I will continue > to> > >   > trade the
  5.  Someday they may stop working.  On the other >
  hand,> > >   they> > >   >
  may not, as I can't find a significant time frame where they> >
  >   haven't.> > >   > But if they do,
  I'll look around for something else that > works.> >
  >   >> > >   > Looking for something
  that works across a "random basket of > stocks"> >
  >   > is A) a waste of time in my opinion, because B) it makes
  you > Pope of> > >   > The Universal Church
  of Holy Grailism, which kicked me out > years ago> >
  >   > for heresy. ^^_^^> > >
  Groups Sponsor> >

  ADVERTISEMENT> > > > > > > > > >
  > >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> >