[amibroker] Re: Please send unmarked bills, in a brown paper bag, to: ...

Peter,

PT = Portfolio Trader which is combination GUI and AFL which allows
fairly sophisticated trading of multiple vehicles simultaneously with
timing/scoring/ranking capabilities etc.

If you are intersted in such a thing see the Files section here and
look for PT-xxxx where xxxx is the revision number.  There is fairly
decent doc with it to explain the functionality and usage.

Fred

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Peter Kuskopf" <pkuskopf@xxxx>
wrote:
> Fred,
>
> I've recently moved from Metastock to AmiBroker so haven't picked
up the acronyms yet. What is PT? It's difficult to search the
archives for "PT". I get 99 gazillion hits.

> By the way, I've also seen a reference to AA in posts. What's that?
>
> And, lastly, are there any other useful but cryptic acronyms for
the AmiBroker world in a glossary online somewhere? Otherwise, I'm
sure all will unfold in good time.

> Many Thanks
> Peter K

backtest .csv
> [...]
>   > applaud you for it.
>   >
>   > You and I are just motivated differently.
>   >
>   > Regards,
>   >
>   > Phsst
>   >
>   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
>   > > Phsst,
>   > >
>   > > First of all I don't have the power to banish you from
anything.
>   > >
>   > > Second, you better go back and reread the posts you are
referring
>   > > to.  While not banishing you, I did chastise you for NOT
>   publishing
>   > > your results and methodologies since what we were talking
about
>   was a
>   > > tool for calculating results from trading multiple securities
>   > > simultaneously not a system from timing or selection of those
>   > > securites.  Therefore, as then, again now, why the need for
>   > > secrecy ?  Although fairly sophisticated now, this is all PT
does
>   > > i.e. provide a framework for users to have their own timing
and
>   > > scoring algorithms along with the means, unfortunately of
doing
>   the
>   > > bean counting.
>   > >
>   > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Phsst" <phsst@xxxx> wrote:
>   > > > Steve,
>   > > >
>   > > > My question to you was honest.
>   > > >
>   > > > You claim that you don't have an answer for my questions,
and
>   yet
>   > > you
>   > > > demand that I provide you with my own backtest results
of 'YOUR'
>   > > > published system... <LOL> BTW... Fred banished me from
>   publishing my
>   > > > own backtest results on this board since I don't use his
>   official
>   > > > PTxxxx AFL to calculate my own backtesting results. (I use
my
>   own
>   > > > software which approaches the issue of analyzing backtest
>   results
>   > > > differently from Fred). Hey... It is not an issue worth
>   exchanging
>   > > > words over.
>   > > >
>   > > > So my position remains... don't demand that I disprove your
>   > > approach.
>   > > >
>   > > > And don't puff up your credentials... just tell us what
>   mathmetical
>   > > > metrics you used to determine the validity of your system.
And
> [...]
>   > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Karnish"
>   <kernish@xxxx>
>   > > wrote:
>   > > > > Gee Phsst,
>   > > > >
>   > > > > I don't have an answer to your question:
>   > > > >
>   > > > > "how do you think that this system performs relative to
the
>   > > following:"
>   > > > >
>   > > > > If you think this indicator can anchor a mechanical
system,  I
>   > > > suggest that
>   > > > > you backtest the general approach and report back.  Every
>   > > asterisk you
>   > > > > listed is important and of course, these intermediate
>   calculations
>   > > > should
>   > > > > lead to more meaning numbers (Sharpe Ratio, Ulcer Index,
>   > > Expectancy,
>   > > > Value
>   > > > > at Risk, etc.).
>   > > > >
>   > > > > For the past three quarters, I've been providing 150
>   institutions
>   > > > with buy
>   > > > > and sell signals (80+ stocks).  I would be laughed "off
the
>   > > street"
>   > > > without
>   > > > > providing specific trading values that measure up to
industry
>   > > > standards.  I
>   > > > > think I have a working knowledge of what's required to
>   justify a
>   > > > mechanical
>   > > > > approach.  My specific approach to the markets and the
>   formula
>   > > that I
>   > > > > provided in the email are in no way related.
>   > > > >
>   > > > > A couple months ago I found an old 3 1/2" floppy with
some
>   > > formulas
>   > > > that I
>   > > > > tweaked (years ago).  I slapped the SteErrOsc on DJM and
than
>   the
>   > > > DJU and
>   > > > > was surprised that it did such a good job of identifying
>   > > overbought and
>   > > > > oversold territory.  The formula and these "ballpark"
>   triggers
>   > > have been
>   > > > > presented and posted at a number of technical forums
(over
>   the
>   > > last few
>   > > > > months).  People seemed to understand the spirit of what
>   > > presented.
>   > > > >
>   > > > > As my first posts stated:  it's un-optimized, un-tweaked,
>   > > > un-manipulated, no
>   > > > > filters, no stops, no trend identification, no nothing.
My
>   most
>   > > adamant
>   > > > > statement was: "it does a decent job tracking the CBOT
Dow
>   > > contract."
>   > > > >
>   > > > > The challenge for mean reversion, momentum traders is to
find
>   > > credible
>   > > > > indicator (I've offered many and many folks on this forum
use
>   > > them), and
>   > > > > then start "cornering the rat (price)".
>   > > > >
>   > > > > *Only put positions on in the direction of the trend
>   > > > > *Drawdown stop
>   > > > > *Profit target stop
>   > > > > *Time stop
>   > > > > *Mechanical oscillator exit
>   > > > > *Money management
>   > > > >
>   > > > > Building the mouse trap is the easy part.  As Fred &
Chuck
>   (and
>   > > > others) have
>   > > > > stated many times, issue selection is far more important
than
>   the
>   > > > approach
>   > > > > you use.  We all have lots of things that work on lots of
>   > > issues.  This
>   > > > > out-of-sample...must work on a random basket is total
>   nonsense.
>   > > If
>   > > > one's
>   > > > > goal is to damper returns, then design something that
trades
>   all
>   > > > issues with
>   > > > > profits.
>   > > > >
>   > > > > I've traded futures for over 25 years, and have always
had
>   great
>   > > > returns in
>   > > > > wheat, corn, oats, silver, gold, fuel and indices.  I
can't
>   trade
>   > > > bellies
>   > > > > (well, none of the meats), interest rates, currencies,
the
>   softs,
>   > > > and the
>   > > > > rest of the sixty or seventy futures (like canola meal).
>   Which of
>   > > > the above
>   > > > > commodities do you think I risked money on (for me and my
>   best
>   > > friends)?
>   > > > > Would the validity of my approch suffer if I couldn't
prove
>   that I
>   > > > can make
>   > > > > a profit trading Orange Juice?
>   > > > >
>   > > > > Enough said.  Well, one more thing.  As forums evolve,
>   > > occasionally they
>   > > > > enter into the "Mark Brown Syndrome" (simple, fresh ideas
get
>   > > > shouted down
>   > > > > by overbearing list members).  Or, as of late, tons of
finger
>   > > > pointing at
>   > > > > people that are offering commercial solutions (within the
>   limits
>   > > > imposed by
>   > > > > Tomasz).   It would be fun to see the forum return to the
>   spirit
>   > > it
>   > > > > supported for so many years.  In the meantime:
>   > > > >
>   > > > > "The woodwork squeaks and out come the freaks"...Was (Not
>   Was).
>   > > > >
>   > > > > Take care,
>   > > > >
>   > > > > Steve
>   > > > >
Shorts
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > What kind of metrics were available to you that made
you
>   think
>   > > this
>   > > > > > system was worth publishing?
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Regards,
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Phsst
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS"
>   > > <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>
>   > > > > > wrote:
>   > > > > > > Steve,
>   > > > > > > as you see, nobody likes this wonderful system *as
is*.
>   > > > > > > I am still surprised, nobody wants to buy at $10 and
sell
>   at
>   > > $90 ???
>   > > > > > > But, it is a net +800% !!!
>   > > > > > > Anyway, perhaps the best typo ever written.
>   > > > > > > Thanks for the surprise,
>   > > > > > > Dimitris Tsokakis
>   > > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading"
>   > > <kernish@xxxx>
>   > > > > > > wrote:
>   > > > > > > > Group,
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > I've stayed on the sidelines for the most
recent "shit-
>   > > slinging".
>   > > > > > > I thought I'd post an elementary approach to
>   the "Dow"...just
>   > > so
>   > > > > > > people could find another member to attach.  Take
your
>   best
>   > > shots at
>   > > > > > > the systems (I've been called all kinds of
unflattening
>   names
>   > > and I
>   > > > > > > even like some of the "tags").
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > The system hasn't been optimized, tweaked, or
>   manipulated.
>   > > All
>   > > > > > > types of rules and filters could be super-imposed
(over,
>   > > under or
>   > > > > > > around the basics...simple is always better).  As it
>   stands,
>   > > it does
>   > > > > > > a decent job tracking the CBOT Dow contract.
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > >  Thanks to HB for providing the code translation:
>   > > > > > > > // Standard Error Oscillator (Steve Karnish)
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > StdErrOsc = (C+2*StdErr(C,8)-MA(C,3))/(4*StdErr
(C,8))
>   *100;
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Plot(StdErrOsc, "StdErrOsc", colorBlack, styleLine);
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Plot(10,"",colorRed); Plot(90,"",colorRed);
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Buy = Cross (10, C);
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Sell = Cross (C, 90);
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Take care,
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Steve
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   > > > > > Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   > > > > > -----------------------------------------
>   > > > > > Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
>   amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   > > > > > (Web page:
>   > > > > > --------------------------------------------
>   > > > > > Check group FAQ at:
>   > > > >
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
>   > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > >

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor