[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker vs other programs

TC2000 has good data source and also good fundamental/technical
scanning capability though basic. Its charting is also not too bad.
However, it doesn't have back-testing and a powerful formula language
(only very basic one). The purpose of TC2000 is obvious: give you a
basic charting/scanning software for free and throw in some expert
notes from the Wordens, the sell you the data. Not a bad idea. I like
their clean data and the plug-in from AB can seamless access their
data.

TC2000 version 3 used to have one data file per ticker, but they
changed it since version 4 to better protect their data. They keep
the data updates in one file and use their own secret format.

I had been using Metastock EOD for a couple years and recently
switched to AB. The main reason was that I found the metastock
formula language is too limiting. They added some limitition in the
EOD version and tried to push you upgrade to the more expensive real
time version. And I hate this kind of bussiness practice! (even
though it is very common). For example, in the EOD version, you can
not reference the data of another ticker in the formula. And there
were some other bugs in the EOD version, and every time you contact
their support, they would admit it and shamelessly recommend you to
upgrade to the real time version for just $699 or something like
that. To work around their EOD limitation, I once asked about their
developer's kit. It was $149 for the kit alone. Nah, I said, bye bye,
Equis.

I have also tried the AdvancedGET, it is very expensive though it
does have some very nice technical analysis functions. But it has not
been updated for a couple years since got bought out by eSignal.

Now I am very happy with the combined setup of TC2000 EOD and
AmiBroker. The AmiBroker is so powerful, and I have not found
anything that can't be done. And it cost less than the Metastock
developer's kit.

As to the backup issue you have, the "xcopy" way may be too old :-)
I use something called "secondcopy" and it takes care everything for
me on the background after I set it up. It can back up files to any
media or even to another computer on your local network and that's
what I do. I have a couple computer on my home LAN and they basically
back up each other through "secondcopy". I think their website is
http://www.secondcopy.com/. It costs $29 or $39.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cowdude650" <cowdude650@xxxx>