RE: [amibroker] Re: proof of an uptrend

I was working on one that
included volume, but the volume figures are not dependable enough to use with
any accuracy. Not so much that there are errors but sometimes there is a special
transfer of shares of significant size that distorts the volumes, and to me,
should not be considered as part of the normal trading volumes. But as I am not
going to go through all the shares to find which volume "spikes" are due to
actual increased interest and which ones are due to abnormal share movements I
left that idea at the wayside.

 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:SmartTagType name="PersonName"
namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags">

<B
><I
><SPAN
>Cheers<SPAN
class=GramE>,<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName
><B
><I
><SPAN
>Graham
<A
href=""><SPAN
>http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading
<A
href=""><SPAN
>http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jayson
  [mailto:jcasavant@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 30 June 2003 9:31
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: proof of an uptrend
  <SPAN
  class=868032513-30062003>Graham,
  <SPAN
  class=868032513-30062003>Interesting... Have you considered including a volume
  component to help measure the strength? Often an upward (or downward) trend on
  increasingly lower volume signals trouble, or at least a pause, on the
  horizon.

  Regards,
  Jayson
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Graham
  [mailto:gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 9:05
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  Re: proof of an uptrendI have been working on some
  ideas for defining a trend for use asconfirmation for entry signals. I am
  still working on it, but thought Imight add it here to see what others
  think of it. This is one way I amtrying, and is one of the 2 ways so far
  more successful than others.Basically it is an indicator so far, and trend
  signified by the position ofthe 2 lines, green above red is rising, red
  above green is falling.As I said it is early days for this as
  yet//INDICATOR C 2//Trending//by Graham Kavanagh 09 June
  2003Period1 = 40;Period2 = 20;Period3 = 5;Rise =
  IIf(H>Ref(H,-1) AND L>Ref(L,-1),1,0);Fall = IIf(H<Ref(H,-1) AND
  L<Ref(L,-1),1,0);CountRise = Sum(Rise,Period1);CountFall =
  Sum(Fall,Period1);IndC = (CountRise-CountFall)/Period1*100;MAIndC
  = DEMA(IndC,Period2);Trigger = EMA(MAIndC,Period3);Strengthup =
  MAindc - ValueWhen(Cross(maindc,trigger),MAindc);Strengthdn = MAindc -
  ValueWhen(Cross(trigger,maindc),MAindc);Strength = DEMA(
  (strengthup+strengthdn), period2 );MAstrength =
  EMA(Strength,5);GraphXSpace = 2;mycolor=IIf(MAIndC>Trigger,
  colorGreen,IIf(MAIndC<Trigger,colorRed,colorBlack));Title
  =EncodeColor(SelectedValue(mycolor)) + Name() + " " + Date() + " IndC2
  Trend Strength: Higher Highs & Lows - Lower Highs &
  Lows"+WriteVal(strength,1.2);Plot( strength,
  EncodeColor(colorGreen)+" trend Strength ",
  colorGreen,styleLine+styleNoLabel);Plot( mastrength,
  EncodeColor(colorRed)+" MA Strength ",
  colorRed,styleLine+styleNoLabel);Cheers,Graham<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia-----Original
  Message-----From: MarkF2 [mailto:feierstein@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday,
  30 June 2003 8:52 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Re: proof of an uptrendRon- If you're going to use slopes, think
  of them as positive or negative.Don't try to order them because they
  depend on scale and you'll getincoherent rankings.Depending on how
  you ultimately decide to define a trend and your timeframe,you may also
  want to take an actuarial approach to look at how long trendslast.
  Of course there are no certainties, only probabilities.Mark---
  In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@xxxx> wrote:>
  I am finally able to actually create some scans that work.  Now Iwant
  to add something to my buy scans that will insure that the stocks
  thatreceive a buy arrow are actually in an uptrend.  One idea I have
  is torequire that it's linear regression must be in an uptrend.  I
  wouldappreciate any and all suggestions regarding what criteria that I
  should putinto my buy scans that would insure that the stock is
  truly  in an uptrend, in order for it to be eligible  to receive
  a buyarrow.  Regardless of the other suggestions that may be
  forthcoming, I still want to test the concept of positive linear
  regression.  I have copied the information from HELP that I
  think is most relevant to whatI want to do.  I am a little puzzled
  regarding what these HELP  comments are really saying.  All that
  I am really looking for in thispost is the statements that I need to add
  to my buy scans thatwill insure that the stock is truly in an
  uptrend.   Any and allcomments will be appreciated.  Ron

  >       SYNTAX  linregslope( ARRAY,
  periods )  >       RETURNS
  ARRAY  >       FUNCTION
  Calculates linear regression line slope from theARRAY using periods
  range.  >       EXAMPLE x =
  Cum(1);>       lastx = LastValue( x );
  Daysback = 10; aa = LastValue(LinRegIntercept( Close, Daysback)
  );>       bb = LastValue( LinRegSlope(
  Close, Daysback ) );> >       y =
  Aa + bb * ( x - (Lastx - DaysBack) ); Plot( Close,"Close", colorBlack,
  styleCandle );>       Plot( IIf( x >=
  (lastx - Daysback), y, -1e10 ), "LinReg",colorRed
  );------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
  ---------------------~--> GetA Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer
  To Life's Important Questions.<A
  href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM---------------------------------------------------------------------~->Send
  group FAQ at:<A
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend
  SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A