RE: [amibroker] Re: Longterm equity chart

I don't
really have an explanation for why it did so well in January 2001, nor do I
really care.   The system basically buys what it thinks are the most
oversold stocks each time the market turns up.   "Turning up" is
simply defined as the 4-bar EMA of VLIC crosses the 11-bar EMA.   It
dumps the whole basket when the market turns down (crosses the other
way).   It does hang on to individual stocks after the downtrend cross
as long as they continue to go down.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
One
reason why it may have done so well in January, 2001 is that more stocks than
usual met the oversold criteria when the buy signal was triggered on 27
December, 2000.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I have
attached a trade listing.  Perhaps you can tell me what happened?

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I don't
look at charts or individual stocks.   I look at equity curves and
drawdown figures.   If they look right, I blindly trade it (every
single trade).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
BTW, I
use a 40% fixed stop in every transaction.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS
  [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 5:43
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Longterm equity chartChuck,just one question:
  Your Equity is almost doubled in Jan2001.From my N100 database I see only
  32% of the stocks better than +20% Long profit[without commissions
  etc]O2=ValueWhen(DateNum()==1010201,O);O1=ValueWhen(DateNum()==1010102,O);Filter=O2/O1>1.2;AddColumn(O2,"");AddColumn(O1,"");AddColumn(O2/O1,"");plus
  33% losers.What happened this Jan ?Dimitris Tsokakis--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher" <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:> Since I've taken up so much bandwidth talking about various
  backtesting that> I am doing, I thought that I would show you an
  equity curve generated by one> of my trading systems.
  The equity curve in the attached .png file was> exported from
  AmiBroker.> > This particular system trades long only, $50,000
  per trade and started in> 1985.  The last day of trading was
  two days ago.> > The final profit is $13.3 million, with no
  pyramiding of profits.   You> can't see it here, but the
  percent winners was 49.8% and the average profit> per trade was
  $3,000.> > A commission/slippage charge of 1% is applied to the
  buy and sell> transactions.> > There is only one set of
  parameters across all 14,000 stocks (active and> extinct) and the
  system uses a simple EMA crossover of the VLIC for market>
  timing.   Every stock gets looked at every trading day to see if
  it> satisfies the necessary criteria.    When I create
  the data (MetaStock> format) for the extinct stocks, I pad out the
  price information through to> the current date in order for
  AddToComposite to work properly.> > All filtering is based on
  actual prices and actual volume on the day.   The> value
  in my volume column always contains the actual (not backadjusted)>
  volume and I store the actual closing price in the open interest
  field.   I> set the open interest column to zero to tell
  the system to exit a position> one day before an extinct stock
  ceases trading.> > All trades are executed at the next day's
  opening price after a signal is> triggered.> > I have
  tried to think of every question one might ask, but that is
  probably> an impossible task.Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.