RE: [amibroker] Re: lets try trading

Thanks
Ed but I don't think Andrew got much out of our exchange - just a
feeling..
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
first thing you need to know when viewing the AB backtest reports is that every
trade is taken without consideration of the capital available. There is no
portfolio management in the backtest so you can't rely on the backtest results
being reliable in terms of portfolio consideratons. Individual Tickers?
Yes.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
There
are some new user supplied tools emerging to help deal with this and TJ has
promised us some exciting (my word not his) enhancements in this area.
(He's been very quiet lately in terms of beta releases and the suspense is
building... Usually when he's quiet like this something big is about to
happen... )  Fred Tonetti has just shared the "Mother of all
backtesters", PT101,  and its available in the files section of this
group.  Don't try to understand the logic in it 'cause Fred is from New
Jersey!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
As to
your specific questions: I haven't tried to reconcile the numbers as you have
and don't have answers for you - I suggest you forward a copy of your email to
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to see if TJ
can help you.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Re
your last paragraph: as I mentioned above every trade is taken regardless and
increasing the equity will not help.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Edward M.
  Wylonis [mailto:ewylonis@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003
  10:50 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [amibroker] Re: lets try tradingDingo,I
  appreciate your helping Andrew to understand backtesting as it could also
  help me.  I have been trying to understand how it works but have been
  stymied by "apparent" inconsistencies.  There may be an explanation
  for them but I have searched the User Guide and the archives but have not
  found explanations.  One inconsistency(to me) shows up on Andrew's
  results. For instance:The "Total net profit: 14240.39 does not equal
  the Profit of winners: 13197.19 minus the Loss of losers: 0.00. Do theses
  numbers include commissions?In my backtest the Profit of Winners
  less the Loss of losers does add up to the Total net profit, however, the
  number of trades does not match the results.  The dollars of profit
  include all of the trades in the results but the number of trades counted
  is less than a manual count.  For instance there will be 32 winning
  trades and 35 losing trades but only 8 winning trades and 18 losing trades
  will be totaled in the results and only 8 and 18 tickers will have a 1 for
  a trade in the results listing.  Am I missing something?Does
  the backtester take the equity and use it on the first trade candidate and
  pass on another trade candidate when it appears if all of the
  equity/margin is involved in the first trade? When the first trade is sold
  does it then become available for another trade?  Does that explain
  why the number of trades in the results is less than the stocks that met
  the buy/sell criteria? Will increasing the equity include some of those
  trades?Thanks,Ed--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@xxxx> wrote:> The first
  thing you've got to do is learn how to read the results in> your
  report. How skilled are you at that? I don't want to talk beneath>
  your level of experience so how about a little background on your>
  trading experience and experience with Amibroker?>  >
  d> > -----Original Message-----> From: Andrew
  [mailto:andok@xxxx] > Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 10:41 PM> To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [amibroker] lets try
  trading> > > I have no idea backtest look good .>
  >   > > > Best regards,>
  Andrew
  mailto:wocek@xxxx > > Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor      >  > <<A
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705>
  632198:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*<A
  href="">http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq>
  so=60164797&partid=3170658>
  >  > <<A
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou>