Re: [amibroker] TJ - premature refresh (unpredictable) or bad technique?

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] TJ - premature refresh (unpredictable) or bad technique?
  • From: "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 00:51:30 -0700

Yuki,

> NR> I suspect if your cache is set to (say) 10, when you display the 11th ticker,
> NR> the 1st one you displayed will be flushed from cache, then when you go back
> NR> to it (the 1st one), it will be refreshed from DB.
>
> This would make sense, except for one glaring problem: scrolling down
> the symbol list produces alternating results -- apparently completely
> at random, not actually back and forth, but inconsistent.  If this
> were some cache loading up, then everything after a certain point
> would display the same way. This is not the case. It alternates back
> and forth as you run down the symbol list, with no apparent rhyme or
> reason that I can see.

It is not random becuase there is NOTHING random in computers.
The algorithm for cache works generaly as Nigel described (the least
recently used symbol is flushed) but
you should remember that all "Foreign" calls in any of your indicators
also cause 'retrieval' of data.
It works that way that if you start the computer the first displayed
stock is retrieved from the plugin (the data are as in your metastock database) and cached.
and so on and so on until you exceed cache size.
if you updated your MS database sometime in the MIDDLE of 'scrolling process'
then cached data are old and symbols that are not in the cache will be 'new'.
That's all philosophy. Nothing really random.
And I am not going to change this as it works well for (almost) everyone.

And as I wrote you there is no option NOT to read the last bar.

I suggest that your pre-market update should NOT contain zeros but
a COPY of previous quote but with zero volume.
This seems far more resonable than adding quote with price set to zero,
especially considering the fact that price = 0 is unsually invalid and
causes trouble when someone uses semi-log charts.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com