From: global_investor [mailto:independent_opinion@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 19 May 2003 8:24 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Color coding of bars

Hello,

I just began evaluating the trial version of Amibroker.      I've
been a user of Metastock since 3 years and am interested in
Amibroker for a couple of reasons, notably the fact that
Amibroker's external API isn't kept largely secret as Equis does
with Metastock and because Amibroker is more reasonably priced than
Metastock.

In my first steps with Amibroker I tried to emulate Metastock's
expert advisor feature with which one can color bars/candles
according to user defined criteria.

For example, (just for testing purposes), I'd like to implement a
simple color coder which colors a bar

- blue if C>Ref( HHV(H ,3),-1)
- red if L<Ref( LLV(L ,3 ),-1)
- black if neither of the above criteria is met

I implemented this in AFL as follows:

up=C>Ref( HHV(H ,3 ) ,-1);
dn=L<Ref( LLV(L ,3 ) ,-1);

color=IIf(up, colorBlue, IIf(dn, colorRed, colorBlack));
Graph0BarColor=color;
Graph0=C;
Graph0Style=styleCandle;

Instead of the assignments to GraphNxxx, I first used
the plot()-function, but got the same result.

Plot( Close, "Price", color, styleCandle );

Above color coder works well with bar charts, but with candlestick
charts it colors only the outline of the candle in red while
filling the body of candles always in black.

If a candle has a filled rather than hollow body, it should be
filled in the same color as the outline of the candle is drawn in.

Note: In Preferences->Charting->Candlesticks, I've set the option
"Body Outline and shadows" to true, which is exactly the mode I'm
used to from Metastock.

Is there a way in AFL to set the color used for filling the body of
a candle?   Or is it only possible in AFL to set the color in which
the outline of the candle is to be drawn?

This color coding is one of the killer criteria which must
be met as to my decision whether or not to purchase Amibroker.

regards,

Wolfgang (Germany)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/GHeqlB/TM