From: steve_almond [mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 14 May 2003 6:12 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Metastock/Quotetracker Data for Amibroker

Graham,

Thanks for the explanation. I think we may be trying to achieve
different things here. This is the description of the diferrent ways
of running QT (from the Amibroker site):

QuoteTracker plugin currently works in TWO modes:

daily mode - plugin adds and updates the last (todays) bar with the
most recent quotes in nearly real time- it means that you have to
use it in conjunction with already existing end-of-day database.

intraday mode - plugin provides one day intraday historical data -
more days can be accumulated if AmiBroker with QT is launched
everyday so AmiBroker can save histories to its local database.

I'm trying to get option one, just to add an additional 'live' bar
of data for the current trading day to my existing Metastock
database, so that I can see how my indicators are developing in real
time (are my stops being hit during the day, for example).

I think maybe you are using option two - the intraday mode?

Steve

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:
> Steve
> I downloaded history of intraday data into my intraday database.
> Unfortunately lost access to this facility, but got up to 3 months
in most
> of the stocks I follow. Otherwise I now go through the collection
of data
> over time to create a new history.
> I have set up different systems for each. I do not yet do any
scans on the
> intraday database until I have sufficient back data. Because I use
mostly
> bar charts and P&F charts it is just a matter of having them in
the windows
> for each database. Just the box sizes will be different for the
intraday as
> the price volatility per bas is less.
> I have QT running all day during trading hours with the intraday
AB running
> as well to collect the data, but could just as easily do this in
one go at
> the end of each day, or even each week as QT stores 5 days of data
now.
> I have found I need to do some maintenance on the QT database as
there are
> many zero volume bars included with the QT data. But this is not a
real
> problem and can be catered for with a scan.
> I don't quite know what you mean by the 2 databases growing
differently.
> They contain different data and so must be different. The data ex
QT is to
> me an approximation only as it is based on the crude data as made,
and not
> cleaned up as the EOD data is. Also because the ASX closes at odd
times, and
> end of month closes later, the intraday data gets messy. But this
is
> sufficient for my needs.
> The advantage of separate databases is that I can be working on
systems for
> the EOD without interfering with the intraday data, and vice versa.
>
> Cheers,
> Graham
> http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading
> http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia