[amibroker] Re: how is the profit for shorts calculated?

  Thanks chuck, this will make it harder to calculate in a spread
sheet.

 I was hoping to just reverse the short and cover columns and use a
long profit calculation.

 Peter.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> I wish you were correct about shorting at $10 and covering at $5
giving you
> a 100% profit.  Unfortunately, it's only a 50% profit.
>
> Let's take the long example first, buying 100 shares.
>
> You buy a stock for $5.
> You sell it at $10.
> You invested $500 and made a $500 profit
> You have made a 100% profit.
>

> Now, let's take the short example:
>
> You short a stock at $10.
> You cover at $5.
> You invested $1000 (not $500) and made a $500 profit.
> You have made a 50% profit.
>

> The most you can EVER make by shorting a stock is 100%.   The most
you can
> lose is your butt!

Service.

Get A Free Psychic Reading!