RE: [amibroker] how is the profit for shorts calculated?

I wish
you were correct about shorting at $10 and covering at $5 giving you a 100%
profit.  Unfortunately, it's only a 50% profit.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Let's
take the long example first, buying 100 shares.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
buy a stock for $5.
You
sell it at $10.
You
invested $500 and made a $500 profit
You
have made a 100% profit.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Now,
let's take the short example:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
short a stock at $10.
You
cover at $5.
You
invested $1000 (not $500) and made a $500 profit.
You
have made a 50% profit.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
most you can EVER make by shorting a stock is 100%.   The most you can
lose is your butt!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: peter j
  [mailto:amiabilityy@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 3:42
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] how
  is the profit for shorts calculated?

   This is about my tenth attempt to post this, i hope the other
  posts  dont appear.

   Hi members.
    I have a question about short trades.
    Is the profit basically worked out similar to a long profit.
   e.g. the buy to sell value
   In a short trade could the profit be worked out in reverse (
  not in reference to ami, will be used for a spread sheet)
    e.g.  If the short was $10.00 and the cover was $5,
  could i reverse these and say that there was a %100 profit.
   or are there oddities when working out the  profit of a short
  trade.
    Peter.

  Do you Yahoo!?<A
  href="">The New
  Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.