Re: [amibroker] Systems for indices

Anthony,

I was meaning that the prediction should be done
using a real world system which takes care of indicator
values etc. Simply said, using a "normal" system, but which
is specialized on one index or ticker only and gives for
each day an up/down forecast. If this is done for all trade
days and over a longer periode then the statistics (hit ratio)
will give a good indication on the overall quality of the system.
So, what is the difference of this approach to "normal" systems:
  - here the system has to predict the outcome of every trade day
    (this is mostly not the case with usual systems; they enter a
    position and stay longer than a day in the trade)
The chance is of course 50:50, but I'm a believer that this should
be improvable using TA,FA, maths etc.

I'm currently testing  such a system which has a hit ratio (correct
prediction of the next days outcome as up OR down for all in N100)
of about 56%. Somewhere I had read (I think it was in Jeff Cooper's
book) that he on average has a hit ratio of more than 60%. Such a
beast I would like to have.

BTW, the 56% hit ratio translates to about 851 to 495% profit since
10/1/2001 (that's in 19 months; for simplicity without counting commissions)
depending on the number of securities one trades per trade (1 to 5 tested).
The risk is about only 2.8% of the initial cash.

Using a smaller period in the indicators used within the code increases
the chances but at the same time also the risks (what else? :-). It brings
even 1039 to 393% (again for 1 to 5 securities per trade), but the risk now is
about 11.6% of the initial cash.

So, if the results are good also for other and longer time frames, then
I think I've found the Holy Grail (HG), don't you think so? :-)

UM